5.12.2015

Meanwhile In California... Cavendish and Sagan at the Photo Finish

Embedded image permalinkMark Cavendish:
"It was a bit nervou. Etixx - Quick-Step was the team that rode on the front most of the day again. Tinkoff-Saxo put one rider in front to help with the chase, but this still meant we were really short in riders at the end. There was only four of us at the end with Matteo Trentin, Julian Alaphilippe, and Mark Renshaw in front of me. We were the only guys in the last laps who hadn't been riding. Against teams with eight fresh riders, instead of four, it was always going to be hard. Going into the last corner Sagan made sure he was ahead of me, but I was happy to be on his wheel. It was a headwind finish. I took a quick glance and I saw a Drapac rider come up. I tried to go around but was a bit closed. I didn't give up and I went again. I saw on the left Sagan had the slipstream of the Drapac rider, and into the headwind that was a massive advantage. I knew he'd get the slingshot. So I knew it would be hard against a strong guy like Sagan. At the line I wasnt sure if I got it. But I'm happy I could get the win after the hard work of Etixx - Quick-Step today. Tomorrow is a mountain stage, so it will be a different story for the stage and likely also the GC. But we won two stages in a row here at Amgen Tour of California in stages that we came here to win. We defended the yellow jersey as we wanted today. We'll do our best tomorrow and see if there are other chances for victories in the next days." 

Peter Sagan:  
"I think we rode better today than yesterday and we had a better lead-out. Yesterday we started earlier in order not to take many risks and we wanted to be behind Cavendish, but there were other riders. It was also a one-kilometer straight-line finish and that played to his advantage, but today we did a very good job and my team placed me very well. I wanted to surprise Cavendish in the final stretch and I did but he proved to be faster than me. He crossed the finish line ahead of me but with a very slim margin, less than on yesterday’s stage. I'm not a pure sprinter and Cavendish is faster. Tomorrow’s finish suits me very well and I am sure my team will do, once again, an excellent job”. 

RESULTS
STAGE

1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx - Quick-Step 4:47:02
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo
3 Wouter Wippert (Ned) Drapac Professional Cycling
4 John Murphy (USA) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling
5 Danny van Poppel (Ned) Trek Factory Racing
6 Jempy Drucker (Lux) BMC Racing Team
7 Lucas Sebastian Haedo (Arg) Jamis - Hagens Berman
8 Tyler Farrar (USA) MTN - Qhubeka
9 Jure Kocjan (Slo) Team SmartStop
10 Zico Waeytens (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
GC
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx - Quick-Step 9:30:09
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:08
3 Robin Carpenter (USA) Hincapie Racing Team 0:00:11
4 William Clarke (Aus) Drapac Professional Cycling
5 Markel Irizar Aranburu (Spa) Trek Factory Racing 0:00:14
6 Jempy Drucker (Lux) BMC Racing Team 0:00:16
7 Wouter Wippert (Ned) Drapac Professional Cycling
8 Rob Britton (Can) Team SmartStop
9 John Murphy (USA) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling 0:00:20
10 Danny van Poppel (Ned) Trek Factory Racing
11 Tyler Farrar (USA) MTN - Qhubeka
12 Zico Waeytens (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
13 Guillaume Boivin (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies
14 Jure Kocjan (Slo) Team SmartStop
15 Martijn Verschoor (Ned) Team Novo Nordisk
16 Lucas Sebastian Haedo (Arg) Jamis - Hagens Berman
17 Dion Smith (NZl) Hincapie Racing Team
18 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo
19 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo
20 Marco Canola (Ita) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling

No comments: