5.01.2015

Tour of Romandie 3: Amazing Albasini (and Alaphilippe)

Embedded image permalinkAfter a long break-away - Vandewalle, Ji and Bulgac - and a brave solo try by Vandewalle - Michael Albasini managed to grab the second victory in a rowAlaphilippe keeps impressing!

Michael Albasini:
“First of all we have to realise what my team did for me today. They really drove strong in the first half of the race and in the final even Santaromita was around to make sure nobody was riding away.
Then I had one of the best riders in the bunch lead me out, so I just had to win it.
Sure. I knew the two consecutive climbs, they were really hard and most of the really fast guys wouldn’t survive them so I knew I would be one of the faster guys left.  Then the team did everything for me to make a sprint.”

Julian Alaphilippe:
"Today I am happy about this result. At the start and during the race I didn't really have a great feeling. I think I paid a bit for the efforts of the last days of racing. The toughest parts of the parcours were also especially hard today and it was a difficult race in the final kilometers. In the end I counted on Tony and Rigo, and they brought me to the front. Luka Mezgec was there with his teammates, and Michael Albasini was also there. I knew they were the fastest guys who could contest the stage. The final was nervous and with about a couple hundred meters to go I launched my sprint. I went on the left, and Albasini on the right. He was clearly the faster, more powerful rider and he won. So I have no regrets about this race. I did the best I could against a strong competitor like Albasini. It's another podium placing. Now we look forward to the next stages to help Rigoberto."

Damiano Caruso:
"I am happy and I am also happy for the team. Everybody did a good job, especially in the final of the race. I tried to do a good sprint.I think my condition is good and I am feeling good about the upcoming stages and for the Giro d'Italia."

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Michael Albasini (Swi) Orica GreenEdge 4:14:56
2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
3 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team
4 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida
5 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica GreenEdge
6 Nathan Haas (Aus) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
7 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step
8 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team
9 Luka Mezgec (Slo) Team Giant-Alpecin
10 Sergei Chernetski (Rus) Team Katusha
GC
1 Michael Albasini (Swi) Orica GreenEdge 8:57:38
2 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:20
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
4 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge
5 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:24
6 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:25
7 Pavel Kochetkov (Rus) Team Katusha
8 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
9 Egor Silin (Rus) Team Katusha
10 Simon Spilak (Slo) Team Katusha

No comments: