5.02.2015

Tour of Turkey 7: CAV CAV CAV!!!!

Embedded image permalink
Mark Cavendish:
"In terms of the sprint this was probably my easiest win with a reduced field. We didn't have a lot of the pure sprinters there and we knew that. Teams made it clear to us they were going to make it hard on the last climb, and I told them they better make it count because with the team I have with me, I knew we'd make it back. So we just kept our tempo, making sure we didn't go over the limit on the climb. The gap was a little bigger than we hoped, but my guys did an incredible job on the descent to come back. They grouped together, stayed with me, and they rode immediately. It was superb. I quickly got back, took a breath to recover, and then we went into leadout mode. It went well. I spoke with Mark Renshaw and asked him to put a few riders of Lampre-Merida between Tom Boonen, because it would put them on the front a bit early. He just missed them but I managed to get them in and it went exactly as planned. They slowed down, Mark came around. I was able to jump on him and it was pretty straight forward from there. I felt super good all the way until the line and I'm super happy with this win. I never went over the limit at any point today. It would have probably been worse if I had stayed with the first group instead of us riding within ourselves. For me the biggest thing I take from today is the way the team stayed together. We did the climb together, straight away worked, and for me that is a bigger satisfaction than crossing the line first."
Embedded image permalink
Andrea Piechele:
”I still miss something in a massive bunch sprint to aim for the victory but today with a stage more demanding I climbed the last uphill in the leading group and I had more time to recover during the following descent. So all was good to get a great result as happened at the end. I’m happy of course, it’s a great 2nd position behind the strongest and fastest sprinter of the world. About the sprint, there was some chaos because all wanted to take in front the final corner with 2km to go. However thanks to my teammates I was able to go behind Cavendish and it was the perfect position to bring home this beautiful podium”. 

Kristian Sbaragli:
"I wanted the race to be really hard today and so we went with the whole team, full gas on the final climb. We managed to drop Cavendish on the climb but he was able to get back after the descent, in the final 10km. In the sprint I was feeling really good, I maybe lost a few meters in the final 250m which possibly cost me the victory. The team were really good once again today. "

RESULTS
STAGE

1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx - Quick-Step 3:59:49
2 Andrea Piechele (Ita) Bardiani CSF
3 Kristian Sbaragli (Ita) MTN - Qhubeka
4 Manuel Belletti (Ita) Southeast Pro Cycling
5 Magnus Cort Nielsen (Den) Orica GreenEdge
6 Daniele Ratto (Ita) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling
7 Armindo Fonseca (Fra) Bretagne-Séché Environnement
8 Jasper De Buyst (Bel) Lotto Soudal
9 Davide Appollonio (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
10 Bakhtiyar Kozhatayev (Kaz) Astana Pro Team
GC
1 Kristijan Durasek (Cro) Lampre-Merida 28:21:23
2 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice 0:00:21
3 Eduardo Sepulveda (Arg) Bretagne-Séché Environnement 0:00:32
4 Jay Mccarthy (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:14
5 Alex Cano Ardila (Col) Colombia 0:01:30
6 Serge Pauwels (Bel) MTN - Qhubeka 0:01:32
7 Mirko Selvaggi (Ita) Wanty - Groupe Gobert 0:02:05
8 Enrico Barbin (Ita) Bardiani CSF 0:02:08
9 Adam Hansen (Aus) Lotto Soudal 0:02:18
10 Tomasz Marczynski (Pol) Torku Sekerspor 0:02:20

No comments: