6.14.2015

Dauphiné 7: Big Game Over

Lacets de Montvernier
Lacets de Montvernier. THAT climb. THE climb. OUCH. It hurts just watching.
A brave break: Stephen Cummings, Gorka Izagirre, Wilco Kelderman, Bruno Pires, Perrig Quéméneur, Romain Sicard, Albert Timmer.
Some cool chasers: Castroviejo, Vuillermoz, Grivko, Cherel, Salerno and Vicioso.
75 km top go Tony Martin attacks the break-away and starts solo the Lacets de Montvernier.
He's caught 30 km to go and Valverde attacks. Caught. Then Rodriguez. Caught. Finally Cumming, 14 km to go.
Embedded image permalinkBehind, the big game starts when Team Sky takes the lead of a reduced peloton including the Yellow Jersey Tejay van Garderen. Chris Froome must drop him. So far Wout Poels pulls as hard as he can. 2.5 km to go Froome attacks: big gear, high cadence. Van Garderen responds but Froome has got a gap, and it keeps growing.
Embedded image permalinkCummings caught, it's just matter of meters and Froome is smashing them on the snall gear now
Embedded image permalink
Cummings is the last one left
Simon Yates and Alberto Rui Costa get off , chase and join van Garderen. Froome has already won and a huge Yates grabs a huge 2nd place: what a talent! Costa is 3rd and van Garderen even lose the bonus seconds on the line.

Chris Froome:
Embedded image permalink
Froome attacks 
“I can’t believe it. I couldn’t have expected it to go any better today. My legs were really tired after yesterday and the whole team was suffering. I don’t know how they did it but everyone lifted themselves with the yellow and blue jersey in sight. They gave everything – Ian Stannard rode alone for almost 100km to control the breakaway and the rest of the team were fantastic up to that moment where I could attack and put pressure on Tejay.
The Dauphine was a big focus for me, but the Tour de France is the main objective. The team is ready, and I’m almost ready. We’re less than three weeks away now and I’m really looking forward to it.”
Embedded image permalink
Costa and Yates join van Garderen

Tejay van Garderen:
Embedded image permalink
VICTORY!
"Every race you go to you want to shoot for the top," he said. "I am certainly happy with second place and I am really happy with how I am stacking up to all of my tour rivals. I think it is a good sign for July. But right now it is hurting a little bit. But sometimes that is a good thing." 

Louis Meintjes:
"What an experience the @dauphine was... Couldn't have done it without the @TeamMTNQhubeka support team."

Daniel Teklehaimanot:

"I am very happy to win the climbers jersey. This is a very special result for me, it is like a dream. I am also happy for the team to get this jersey because you can see it means a lot for everyone as well. I have received a lot of support and nice words from many people in Eritrea and everywhere in the world. I am thankful for the team and I am happy that I can help promote our Qhubeka charity and 5000 bicycles campaign by winning this jersey. I will race the Tour de France with high motivation."

Simon Yates:
Embedded image permalink“Had I been promised to finish fifth overall at the start of the week, I would have signed for it. It wasn't just a battle against Bardet for the white jersey. I wanted to beat as many guys as I could on GC, even Rui Costa but that didn't work out. I'm happy with fifth place.”

Nacer Bouhanni:
"Critérium du @dauphine terminé avec le maillot vert et 2 victoires d'étapes😀.Encore merci à toutes l'équipe @TeamCOFIDIS pour cette semaine👍 "
["Dauphiné finished with the Green Jersey and two stage victories. Thanks again to my team for this week."]

Alexis Vuillermoz:
Embedded image permalink"Journée plus compliquée pour moi avec une chute à 40km de l'arrivée. Rien de cassé, juste un bon choc à la tête (le casque ca sert) et des dermabrasions. Dauphiné terminé avec une belle 6ème place de Romain au général. Prochaine étape, reconnaissance des étapes Pyrénéenne du tour puis le championnat de France en Vendée."
[Complicated day with a crash 40 km to go. Nothing broken, just a good shock to my head (the helmet is useful) and some abrasions. Dauphiné over with a nice 6th overall for Bardet. Next step, TdF recon in the Pyrennes, then nathional championship in Vandée.]

Bauke Mollema: 
“It was again a really hard day since Sky wanted to go for the stage win and take the bonus seconds.  They made it really hard as there was a strong breakaway in front, and in the end it came down to the last climb. I just wanted to try today because I was feeling a lot better.
Embedded image permalinkI think at the bottom I was a little bit too far back, but I didn’t expect Nibali to go full gas in the first kilometer. I was expecting to move up after one kilometer of climbing and that was a pity because after two kilometers of climbing I had to pass dropped guys and close the gaps. 
But overall it was a good test, and I am on the good way I think. It’s not where it should be, but it’s a lot better than the beginning of the week, so that’s positive. We still have some work to do before the Tour but we have time and I think my level is good for now.”

Gallopin Tony:
"Belle semaine sur ce @dauphine. Belles étapes, beaucoup de plaisir et un bon mal de jambes pour finir !@Lotto_Soudal"
Embedded image permalink

Bart De Clercq:
“I already tried yesterday to get away with a group of strong escapees, but Astana didn’t let it happen, then another group bridged to the leaders. A few of them got a top ten result, while today it was obvious quite soon that Sky wanted to take the bonus seconds to get the overall victory with Froome. We had a maximal advantage of three minutes and although we were ahead with some strong climbers, it wasn’t enough to fight for the stage win. I think the fifteenth place overall is correct for my level in this Dauphiné. Next week I’ll ride the road race at the European Games in Baku and then it’s waiting to see if I’m selected for the Tour.”

Wilco Kelderman:
“But the pain in my back didn’t disappear suddenly. I really wanted to be in the breakaway today and so I attacked. It went good today, but not superb. Now, I’ll stay here in France for some extra days. I’ll take some days to recover and afterwards, I’m going to train here in the mountains for a couple of days.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 3:59:27
2 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:18
3 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida
4 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
5 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:00:28
6 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
7 Daniel Martin (Irl) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:31
8 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky 0:00:44
9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar
10 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team
GC
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 30:59:02
2 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:10
3 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida 0:01:16
4 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:21
5 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica GreenEdge 0:01:33
6 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:05
7 Daniel Martin (Irl) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:52
8 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:03:06
9 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:03:12
10 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:04:17

No comments: