7.12.2015

Tour de France: Alexis Vuillermoz Diary 5 (translated)

Alexis VuillermozThe original French is HERE.

"I got a stage victory in the Tour de France. These words took time to get in my head.  It's a nice feeling but in the frenzy of the finish line it took me time to realise. I knew to have good legs and that this finish suited me.  From the Mur de Huy to the Mûr de Bretagne… In the end it was all about climbing the mur.
I was a little afraid about the start of the climb where the smallest mistake in placing can be fatal. Ben Gastauer and the whole team did a great job to keep us in the best place, Romain, Jicé and I. Then, I took my responsabilities. When I saw two riders were on my wheel I stopped. When Froome came in front I took his wheel, then I attacked. I didn't know where I was going. 800 m from the line I was quite done but I endured...
I'm happy for this victory, my 3rd one as a pro, the most prestigious. It recalls many images. My father's, lost 3 years ago... And I often think about him.  He gave me the love of cycling and I know he must be proud of me. Then the images of all who helped me to become a pro cyclist: Daniel Germond, who gave me the decisive push on supporting me, Yvan Clolus, my coach who became much more than that for me, Jean-Baptiste Quiclet, who made me aware of my potential on the road, my family, my friends, team AG2R LA MONDIALE… A lot of people who supported me, cheered on and helped....
This victory is important for me but also for the team.  It opens the account and gives us confidence after a difficult first week not exactely on our terrain. I tasted a little this moment, even if the Tour doesn't allow you the time...  
Now we start in the TTT, in the heart of Bretagne that suits me very well because I already won the GP de Plumelec in this season. It's going to be an important moment before to enjoy a rest day and then the start the Pyrénées. A different page in the Tour de France, that the whole team is looking forward."

No comments: