8.12.2015

Eneco Tour 3: BOOM! Tom Boonen

Embedded image permalink
From Beveren to Ardooie: 171.9 km of Belgium. David Boucher, Edward Theuns and Frederik Veuchelen have escaped the peloton that keeps them 3' ahead, not more.
Embedded image permalink50 km to go Izaguirre crashes on Houle and unlike the AG2r rider he's not back on bike. Holding his head he remains on the ground. So far the road is large and flat, in favour of falling asleep, at high speed, in a trance.
Intermediate sprint and no surprise: break, then the race leader who anyway is going to lead the Sprint Classification given that he got 2 points.
Now, for the stage. Team Lotto-Saudal is already in front and 20 km to go Nathan Haas decides to anticipate, but he goes nowhere.
Embedded image permalinkTFR is leading at the first passage on the line. Off to the country, suburbs and isolated houses, back to the town for a technical finish. Nizzolo is well placed, Greipel far behind and at the last meters... BOOM! Tom Boonen gets off and off he's gone.


Embedded image permalinkTom Boonene:
"Winning is everything, this is why I still do this. The past week I've worked hard in the sprint, to try and win a stage here. You can tell I'm really happy with this win after three consecutive bunch arrivals. Three times really is a charm! The past two days were okay, but always a little too early. Today actually didn't go perfectly either in the last kilometer. Demare and I touched wheels, but I remained upright. I stuck with it, launched in the last meters and won the stage. I know I don't have a lot of results this year after my crash at Paris-Nice. That's why I really wanted to train again for my sprints, to see what I could salvage out of the last part of my season. Also, in the next races before the UCI World Championship, it's only about sprinting for myself. So, this one gave me some important confidence in that area. I still want to do well on Friday and Sunday. Let's hope we can get more good results in the next days." 

Elia Viviani:
"I am a bit frustrated to only come third but okay that is sprinting sometimes in Belgium. It is very difficult and today there were some dangerous corners and tricky sections in the final kilometres. I came from behind to take third. I think it was another demonstration that I have good condition at the moment. I think we did some good work but there was a headwind and when we got to the front it was difficult to stay up there. Out of three sprints, one stage victory and a third is not too bad. We are third in GC and now we have the time trial tomorrow.
The last three days I think are really good days for me to help with my condition. After a long time out from racing I need this hard week. For sure I will try something, maybe a breakaway, or look to stay up at the front on one of the stages. But this base work will help me for the next main focuses which are Hamburg Cyclassics and Plouay. They could be good races for me, and Plouay is also a good test for the world championships with a similar finish. So I am looking forward to that."

According to Cyclingnews David Boucher has been booted from Eneco Tour for going in breakaway:
"David Boucher has apparently been told he must leave the Eneco Tour by his FDJ squad because he defied team orders and attacked during stage 3. The Frenchman vented his frustrations on Twitter in both French and Dutch, saying. "Proud of myself, and I'm not the only one. I have to give up and go home now. Decision of the team as punishment. Very pleased to have been supported by the DS and all riders from the peloton, thank you. #Solidarité and bravo Arnaud for his 2nd place."

RESULTS
STAGE
1. Tom Boonen
2. Demare
3. Viviani
4 Guardini
5 Groenwegen
6 Greipel
7 Selig
8 Modolo
9 van Poppel
10 Jans

GC
1. Asselman
2. Boonen +1''
3 Viviani +1'
4. Greipel +5''

Jerseys:
Embedded image permalinkWhite: Jesper Asselman
Green: Asselman (worn by Veuchelen)
Red (points): Andre Greipel

No comments: