9.09.2015

Tour of Britain 3 and 4: Sprinters Sagra

Do you know what a 'sagra' is? In Italy almost every villages has got its one: Sagra del Cinghiale, della Polenta, dei funghi porcini... It's a fair where you can eat something cooked in every possible way. Tour of Britain is a race where you can enjoy a every day a sprint by a selection of the best sprinter in the world. Before Worlds... indead.
Yesterday I spent all day - 10 am - 10 pm - in a crazy place crowded of teachers of all subjects and schools waiting hours to be hired. That's the public Italian Education. 
Anyway I see that poor Vakoc crashed just out the 3 km to go and got a heavy delay. I also see that Elia Viviani went on winning on style. 
Today another talent shows all his class: Fernando Gaviria

Mark Cavendish:
"Proper gutted for @PetrVakoc today. Never nice to crash, especially wearing the yellow jersey. I was a bit luckier. Just a broken wheel."

Elia Viviani:
"It was a long stage. We helped chase the breakaway down because it was a strong move and we felt with six riders per team it was going to be hard for just one team to control.
On paper it looked like a good stage for me, but we didn't know how hard that last climb was going to be, so we controlled the pace all the way up it to make sure I was still in contact.
Ian Stannard did so much work before the rest of the guys chipped in to give me an ideal lead out. The finish suited me, and even after 216km, my legs felt good. I started my sprint with 150m to go and when I went, I knew no-one would beat me. I'm really happy with this win."

Fernando Gavira:
"Today is an important day in my career. I won the race against the best sprinters in the world. But it wasn't planned like that. My job today was to pull in the sprint for Mark. Matteo entered the breakaway, which covered us so we could save our energy for the finale. But Mark was a little bit boxed in the last corner at 400 meters to go, and he couldn't really sprint. So, I looked around me and I made the decision to go for the sprint. I did my best, and at the end I saw that I was closing in on and passing Greipel. To me, when I crossed the line as the winner, it was a huge moment. I beat one of the best sprinters in the pro peloton, a point of reference for a guy like myself. So, it's really an honor to get this victory. Tour of Britain is a great new experience. We have a nice group here. I'm learning a lot every day. In the next days we will probably have more chances as a team. We will see what we can accomplish. Today I just want to enjoy this moment, which is one of the best for me so far. I also want to give best wishes to Petr, who didn't start this morning. It was a sad moment for the team, and I am glad to show him with this victory that we will keep fighting for good results while he is recovering."

RESULTS
STAGE 3
1 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky 5:08:18  
2 Juan Jose Lobato Del Valle (Esp) Movistar Team  
3 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Etixx - Quick Step  
4 Sondre Holst Enger (Nor) IAM Cycling  
5 Jens Debusschere (Bel) Lotto - Soudal  
6 Owain Doull (GBr) Team WIGGINS  
7 Alberto Bettiol (Ita) Team Cannondale - Garmin  
8 Graham Briggs (GBr) JLT Condor  
9 Alex Peters (GBr) Great Britain  
10 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky
STAGE 4
1 Fernando Gaviria Rendon (Col) Etixx - Quick Step 5:13:08  
2 André Greipel (Ger) Lotto - Soudal  
3 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) MTN - Qhubeka  
4 Owain Doull (GBr) Team WIGGINS  
5 Jens Debusschere (Bel) Lotto - Soudal  
6 Jonas Van Genechten (Bel) IAM Cycling  
7 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky  
8 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN - Qhubeka  
9 Floris Gerts (Ned) BMC Racing Team  
10 Graham Briggs (GBr) JLT Condor

GC after stage 4
1 Juan Jose Lobato Del Valle (Esp) Movistar Team 18:50:12  
2 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) MTN - Qhubeka 0:00:06  
3 Floris Gerts (Ned) BMC Racing Team 0:00:12  
4 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky 0:00:13  
5 Dylan van Baarle (Ned) Team Cannondale - Garmin  
6 Owain Doull (GBr) Team WIGGINS 0:00:14  
7 Graham Briggs (GBr) JLT Condor  
8 Rasmus Guldhammer Pedersen (Den) Cult Energy Pro Cycling  
9 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Etixx - Quick Step  
10 Serge Pauwels (Bel) MTN - Qhubeka 0:00:20

No comments: