10.04.2015

Cyclocross: Great Start in Gieten!

Embedded image permalink
Pic by Youri IJnsen
Cyclocross finally!!! No will to switch to Il Lombardia.
Fast route, a beautiful warm light and still a warm temperature. A fast start for Lars van der Haar who quickly breaks away with Wout van Aert and David van der Poel.
The last one is finally dropped and the fight for the victory is down to van Aert and van der Haar
Both look confortable but van Aert today is stronger: van der Haar distanced, he wins solo. A beautiful start for the Dutch champion anyway, who has also raced a successful road season.
3rd is Tim Merlier, at the bunch sprint.

Wout van Aert:
“This streak will end at some point and I will have no trouble with that. I’m starting relaxed at every race. It’s fun to race this way.
I looked back and saw I had a gap of 10 metres. Ten metres means you’re on the verge of cracking. I was able to accelerate a bit more. It was the time to go".

Class Vantornout:
“When Van Aert accelerated everybody knew you had to be on his wheel but not everybody can be there".

Lars Van der Haar:
“It’s too bad but I was beaten in a fair duel which makes it easier to cope with it. I’m there, able to reply to his first acceleration but I didn’t have that second acceleration. You feel that he’s playing with you. He punished every mistake. He’s riding better than me right now."

Tim Merlier:
“This feels good. I didn’t expect it but it’s fun to experience it. It’s the first time I’m riding top-5 in a major race. I know that I’m fast on the line. They told me to ride in front in the last lap and that’s what I did. The pace dropped in front of me. I had to enter the final corner in front. It worked out well. More of this please."

Sven Nys [who according to Cyclinews "clicked out of his pedal":
“It felt like I was able to ride in front today. It was a high-speed cross which usually doesn’t suit me. I had good legs, good sensations. It’s a pity to drop away with a flat. It’s bad luck. Wout Van Aert is a level above the rest for the moment. With good positioning one can do well over here. With fourth place I’m pleased".

RESULTS
Men
1 Wout Van Aert (Bel) Vastgoedservice - Golden Palace
2 Lars Van Der Haar (Ned) Giant-Alpecin
3 Tim Merlier (Bel)
4 Sven Nys (Bel)
5 Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games
6 Gianni Vermeersch (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games
7 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games
8 Vincent Baestaens (Bel) Bkcp-Corendon
9 Rob Peeters (Bel)
10 Julien Taramarcaz (Swi) Era Real Estate - Murprotec

Women
1. Sanne Cant
2. Nikki Harris
3. Jolien Verschueren

Sanne Cant:
“I’m delighted with my first win of the season. I wanted to make the difference straight from the start and that worked out pretty well. Riding the whole race at full gas is a good training. For a moment it seemed like Harris was keeping the pressure on me but I was keeping the race under control. It was difficult to ride in the sand as there was no path. For the chasers that was a bonus.”

No comments: