11.01.2015

Cyclocross: Koppenbergcross

Embedded image permalinkDry sunny cross in Oudenaarde. 
Embedded image permalinkAs far as the men race, Van Amerongen and Sweeck lead the first laps, then the peloton comes. The first attack arrives by Lars van der Haar while van Aert remains slightly dropped.
Just matter of time though. In the end it's a new victory for Wout van Aert and a bitter 3rd for Lars van der Haar who failed to defend his 2nd place against Kevin Pauwels.
Sven Nys had a mechanical problem and didn't finish.
Embedded image permalinkAs far as the women, Jolien Verschueren won. My lady Sanne Cant came only 5th this time.
At the start I spotted Angus Edmond, in the last row... lets see how things went for him...

Jolien Verschueren:
“I’m really pleased with this victory. Many people said this was a race for me. Last year I was runner-up and this year I hoped to win. It worked out well. I’m really excited. This is still a hobby. I’m still a nearly fulltime sports teacher for preschoolers".

Helen Wyman:
"Such a great race @Koppenbergcross 2nd year of @twenty20cycling equal prize money no surprise there were 51 women on the start, men just 37!"

Lars van der Haar:
"Oef. That hurt on the Koppenberg. Strong win of @WoutvanAert. Behind that I rode my own race. Happy to be on podium! Third.
It was a hard race and it took three laps for the race to break open. I didn’t want to ride in the big group and the legs weren’t great so I decided to take the initiative. That turned out to be a good decision because the feeling improved.
Wout (van Aert) countered me and I couldn’t follow. I kept on riding my own pace for the podium, but lacked my target point. I accept my third place, although I would have liked to become second obviously. Wout didn’t make a mistake and was the strongest today, he is the deserved winner.”

Wout van Aert:
“Today I won by a big margin. It was good to have more time to enjoy the win. It’s fun to tackle tough courses like this one when your form is great because you know gaps will automatically be created,” Van Aert told Sporza.

Kevin Pauwels:
“I was sitting far back when van Aert rode away. I didn’t even see where he attacked. He kept riding away from us so he must’ve been stronger. I don’t think there’s ever been someone riding faster than Wout Van Aert nowadays. It’s hard to compare but he’s very fast,” 

RESULTS
WOMEN
1 Jolien Verschueren (Bel) 0:35:01
2 Femke van den Driessche (Bel) 0:00:47
3 Nikki Harris (GBr) 0:00:53
4 Helen Wyman (GBr) 0:01:13
5 Sanne Cant (Bel) 0:01:13
6 Thalita de Jong (Ned) 0:01:23
7 Ellen Van Loy (Bel) 0:01:46
8 Sanne Van Paassen (Ned) 0:02:08
9 Maud Kaptheijns (Ned) 0:02:16
10 Hannah Payton (GBr) 0:04:28
MEN
1 Wout Van Aert (Bel) Vastgoedservice-Golden Palace
2 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon
3 Lars van der Haar (Ned) Giant-Alpecin
4 Tom Meeusen (Bel) Telenet Fidea
5 Thijs van Amerongen (Ned) Telenet-Fidea
6 Diether Sweeck (Bel) Corendon - KwadrO Cycling Team
7 Michael Vanthourenhout (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon
8 Julien Taramarcaz (Swi) Kwadro-Stannah Cycling Team
9 Corne Van Kessel (Ned) Telenet Fidea
10 Gianni Vermeersch (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon

No comments: