11.10.2015

In Short: Helen Wyman About Gender Equality In Cycling (starting with Cross)

Helen WymanHer blog is HERE

In Short:

1. Exposure: "It’s safe to say that I have never had a conversation about my race with a total stranger completely unrelated to me who just watched it on TV. Although this may not seem like a big deal, I can honestly tell you it is HUGE. I have always said TV brings the sport to the masses; full live coverage gives us a showcase for our fantastic sport but until now I have never really experienced exactly how HUGE this is."

2. A Long Fight: "When I think back to the times when the likes of Hanka Kupfernagel and Daphny Van Den Brand campaigned for the women to have a World Championships it genuinely gives me goosebumps to think how far we have come in just 15 years."

3. (Also) Money: "I know I have chosen this course in my life because I love it so much and my life is hugely rich in experience. I have never been under any illusion that my bank balance would match. I have every confidence that this, for the likes of recently crowned u23 European champion Femke Van Den Driessche, will not be the case. Her, like her equally talented peers, will be able to have the best of both worlds and I hope they can see this too."

4. Small Change, Big Consequences: "One simple rule change on race day program has led to every major series in the heartland of cross having overall prize money, start contracts for the top women and live TV coverage. The BPost bank trofee series has always been one step ahead and maintains this with full series TV coverage. For the second year Koppenberg had equal prize money supported by Twenty20 cycling. I’m certain this is a major contributing factor to having 57 women on the start line compared to just 37 men."

5. A First Step: "Cyclo-cross is making a niche for itself for women’s sport and I’d guess no other women’s cycling discipline has had as many hours of live TV coverage as we’ll have this season. This can only equate to more opportunities for us now and progressively in the future."

No comments: