1.21.2016

Crashy and Crashy: TDU and San Luis 3

Embedded image permalink
Crashes affected both the races this time and on today Gazzetta Vincenzo Nibali says in San Luis crashed riders came back hanging on the team cars. Peter Koning won stage and jersey. Alexis Vuillermoz got a good 6th place.
Down Under there is a new Ocra Jersey: Simon Gerrans, who also won the stage after a whole year without a top result. Tyler Farrar, Marcus Burghardt, Lucas Hamilton, Songezo Jim, Julian Arredondo, Koen De Kort and Bram Tankink all crashed  18 km to go. The first one finished the race on a bike generously lent by a spectator.

Simon Gerrans:
"To come away with the stage win and the lead, we couldn't ask for much more than that. I came from a fair way back, everyone was pretty hammered after getting over the corkscrew so I’m really thrilled to win it, even by the narrowest of margins. This is great. It's been a long time between drinks and I had such a difficult season last year. The guys worked so hard for me yesterday, to miss out (due to a crash) so close to the finish when I was feeling so good was bitterly disappointing for me and the team so to come away 24hours later with a win and now the lead I think everyone will be really happy today. That was super tough going up the corkscrew, there's obviously some really good climbers in the race so I had to time my effort well. Really, my teammates set me up perfectly for that final climb. They had me in third position into the corkscrew so it's really thanks to them that I was able to get this result."

Team Dimension Data:
"A big thanks to the spectator who lent Tyler Farrar his bike today. Tyler would be out of the @tourdownunder if it weren't for you mate! ;)"

Rohan Dennis:
"It is a little bit disappointing. I thought I did a great sprint but Gerrans, you can't take anything away from him. He's a class act, he hasn't won Liege, won Tour de France stages, beaten guys like Sagan, for nothing. I really have to take my hat of to him. Last year I won at Paracombe and Richie didn't and he pumped me on Willunga. Different day, different story. I think it's going to be really close after Willunga. It's going to go down to the wire and I think if we don't get ten seconds up on Gerrans on Willunga before the last criterium, they're going to go for the primes in the middle. Corkscrew is purely who is the better climber I think and with Willunga, tactics come into play. It's a lower gradient so you can actually push a bigger gear and it helps bigger guys like myself."

Richie Porte:
"Rohan was fantastic today and was so close to Gerro, so it's a good sign for our team. I felt comfortable. I didn't come into the climb in the best position but Alessandro De Marchi moved me up into a good position. The signs are quite good, i'm happy with that. Obviously Sergio Hinaut is absolutely flying. I think he's quite a danger man as well. But we cracked quite a few other guys that we thought would possibly be up there on GC. On Willunga I think we are just going to have to throttle them, really give it to them."

BMC Racing Team Race Doctor, Dr. Scott Major:
"Rohan walked away unscathed from his crash, however Marcus is a little banged up. He has a muscle contusion on his left elbow, although it doesn't seem to be broken, and has slight muscle strain in the neck. We are going to observe his elbow overnight and make a decision tomorrow morning regarding an X-ray".

Alexis Vuillermoz:
"Plutôt content de ma journée, j'arrive à basculer avec les 10 premiers dans le dernier col, ensuite pas mal de petits groupes sont rentrés dans la descente et le plat final mais l'essentiel était de pouvoir se rassurer en bosse. Je termine 6ème de l'étape encore une fois bien aidé par les copains de l'équipe tout au long de la journée !" [Quite happy with my day, I was with the first 1o on the last climb, then ok some small groups came back in the descent and the final flat but the important thing was to be reassured on the climb. I finished 6th in the stage once again well supported by my team mates all day long!]

RESULTS
TDU
STAGE

1 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica–GreenEdge 3:37:34
2 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team
3 Michael Woods (Can) Cannondale
4 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Tinkoff
5 Steve Morabito (Sui) FDJ
6 Rafael Valls Ferri (Esp) Lotto Soudal
7 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky
8 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
9 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team
10 Ruben Fernandez Andujar (Esp) Team Movistar
11 Luis Leon Sanchez Gil (Esp) Astana 0:00:13
12 Simon Clarke (Aus) Cannondale
13 Jack Bobridge (Aus) Trek–Segafredo 0:00:22
14 Pieter Serry (Bel) Etixx–Quick-Step
15 Patrick Bevin (NZl) Cannondale
16 Anthony Roux (Fra) FDJ
17 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky
18 Lars Ytting Bak (Den) Lotto Soudal
19 Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Giant–Alpecin
20 Egor Silin (Rus) Team Katusha
GC
1 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica–GreenEdge 10:28:12
2 Jay McCarthy (Aus) Tinkoff 0:00:03
3 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:05
4 Michael Woods (Can) Cannondale 0:00:11
5 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:00:15
6 Rafael Valls Ferri (Esp) Lotto Soudal
7 Ruben Fernandez Andujar (Esp) Team Movistar
8 Steve Morabito (Sui) FDJ
9 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team
TEAM
1 Cannondale Pro Cycling Team 31:25:56
2 Lotto Soudal 0:00:09
3 Movistar Team
SAN LUIS
STAGE
1 Peter Koning (Ned) Drapac Professional Cycling 3:08:41
2 Fernando Gaviria Rendon (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:37
3 Travis Mccabe (USA) Holowesko / Citadel p/b Hincapie Sportswear
4 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team
5 Mauro Abel Richeze (Arg) San Luis Somos Todos
6 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
7 Julien Loubet (Fra) Fortuneo - Vital Concept
8 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team
9 Dayer Uberney Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
10 Miguel Angel Lopez Moreno (Col) Astana Pro Team
GC
1 Peter Koning (Ned) Drapac Professional Cycling 7:57:43
2 Fernando Gaviria Rendon (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:06
3 Maximiliano Ariel Richeze (Arg) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:22
4 Rodrigo Contreras (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step
5 Dayer Uberney Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:30
6 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
7 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Movistar Team
8 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:39
9 Miguel Angel Lopez Moreno (Col) Astana Pro Team
10 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team

No comments: