1.24.2016

Cyclocross: Hoogerheide WC

Embedded image permalink
U19 Men Podium: Pic by Ad Pertijs ‏@adpertijs
In a very cold day Eli Iserbyt grabs the World Cup Jersey for U23 Men. Quinten Hermans, team mate and main opponent, won the race but not the title. It has been a thrilling duel all the season long. Congrats Eli! 
As far as U19 Men the victory goes to the Dutch Jens Dekker. Jappe Jaspers has got as many points as him but less race wins.
Elite Women are racing now: De Boer is leading, on Harris +14", De Jong +19" and Cant +27". At the last lap the situation didn't change. The fight is for the 2nd place, and for the title. Cant is now dropped and Mani joined her. Harris and De Jong in front. De Boer leading.
Embedded image permalink
Hermans and Iserbyt
Finish! Sophie De Boer wins solo. Thalita De Jong attacks and takes 2nd in front of Nikki Harris. But Sanne Cant secured her World Cup title!

Sanne Cant:
"I wasn't running aroundriding with a good feeling. I had a lot of trouble to speed up in the heavy stretches. I made many mistakes, but that can happen.
Embedded image permalink
Next week in Zolder is a very different course. 
I didn't save energy in my season, there will be pressure but I have prepared well and I'll do my best..."

And there we go: Elite Men race is on. It's all about the title today and Lars van der Haar is second in the overall behind Wout van Aert. 
Embedded image permalinkAfter just one lap Mathieu van der Poel is already leading solo. Then Van Aert comes at 8'' with Pauwels and Sweeck. Van der Haar is behind.  His Gian-Alpecin's mates are in hospital after an horrific crash so maybe it isn't the best day to fight for a jersey.
On the line for the 2nd time Van der Poel is still leading solo, Van Aert is at 16". Sweeck, Pauwels and Meeusen at 25". Van der Haar is 6th.
Embedded image permalink
Sanne Cant
5 laps to go the situation didn't change: Van der Poel has got a  25" advantage on Van Aert. Sweeck, Meeusen and Pauwels atre at 46".
Boring race... 3 laps to go the situation didn't change. Likely Mathieu van der Poel is going to win this race and likely the World Cup title is going to go to Wout van Aert, given that Lars van der Haar at the moment is 7th.
Embedded image permalink2 laps to go Kevin Pauwels is closing the gap to Wout van Aert: only 12" now.
Last for Van der Poel and Van Aert's advantage on Pauwels is just 6''. Laurens Sweeck is chasing solo on 4th.
Embedded image permalinkIn this order they cross the line. Lars van der Haar finishes on 7th place after Tom Meeusen and an emotional Toon Aerts on tears because excluded from the World Championship Belgian selection.
Wout van Aert is the youngest winner of the World Cup title ever. Lars van der Haar keeps the 2nd position.
This was the last WC race for Sven Nys, who gets awarded for his wonderful career.

Embedded image permalinkLars van der Haar:
"Happy to end the UCI World Cup  GC as Second! :-)Struggled mentally today to do a good race. Half way in I finally found my rhythm, and did a good last part. 7th. No worries for worlds!"

Embedded image permalinkMathieu van der Poel:
“It was a very difficult race today, very tough. I’m happy because like some other riders I did a very intensive training week. I’m satisfied with the recovery I did until now.
The only favourite for Zolder? I wouldn’t say that. This is something entirely different [compared to] next week. Next week is a course that suits me very well. I’m really happy because I had a hard training week. Next week I want to take some rest and then I want to go for the super-compensation to prolong my title. It’s good to go home this way. I’m a pleased man. I prefer to head home like this than after being distanced.”

Wout Van Aert:
Embedded image permalink“I repeat what I’ve been saying for weeks: to me there’s only one top favourite for Zolder and that is Mathieu. Today everybody fell far too short on Mathieu, including me. I’m pleased the World Cup is in the pocket because when you start to calculate and take into account bad luck then there’s some stress. I’m pleased that Tim Merlier can come along to Zolder. It’s comforting to have a teammate along” 

RESULTS
U19 Men
1.Dekker, 
2.Jaspers,
3.Turgis, 
4.Groot, 
5.Crispin, 
6.Rombouts, 
7.Wolsink, 
8.Bonnet, 
9.Dorigoni, 
10.Hecht
U23 Men
1. Quinten Hermans
2. Eli Iserbyt
3. Clement Russo
4.Soete,
5.Gras,
6.Hoeyberghs,
7.Aerts,
8.Owen,
9.Colledani,
10.Orts.
TITLE: 
1. Eli Iserbyt
Elite Women
1.DeBoer,
2.DeJong,
3.Harris,
4.Mani,
5.Cant,
6.Verschueren,
7.Wyman,
8.Lechner,
9.Majerus,
10.Stultiens.
TITLE: 
1. Sanne Cant
2.Lechner,
3.Harris,
4.Van Loy,
5.Compton,
6.DeBoer,
7.Mani,
8.Havlikova,
9.Wyman,
10.Antonneau. 
Elite Men
1.Van der Poel,
2.Van Aert,
3.Pauwels,
4.Sweeck,
5.Meeusen,
6.Aerts,
7.Van der Haar,
8.Vermeersch,
9.Meisen,
10.Merlier
TITLE: 
1. Wout van Aert
2.Van der Haar,
3.Pauwels,
4.Nys,
5.Van der Poel,
6.Sweeck,
7.Meeusen,
8.Aerts,
9.Vantornout,
10.Vermeersch.

No comments: