2.20.2016

Cycling So Far: Ruta del Sol, Algarve and Oman

Again, an exhausting morning at work and a busy afternoon with my son's cycling team (I'll tell you more). No time for procycling so now I'm curious to see how things have gone. 
In la Ruta del Sol it was an ITT and Tejay van Garderen won it. In Algarve Marcel Kittel was first at the sprint. In Oman Edval Boasson Hagen confirmed his wonderful shape.

RESULTS
Ruta del Sol
ITT
1 van Garderen 
2 Kelderman +2 
3 Coppel +7 
4 Bookwalter +15 
5 Chavanel +17 
6 Poels +20 
7 Sanchez +21 
8 Valverde +22
GC
1 van Garderen 
2 Kelderman +2 
3 Coppel +7 
4 Bookwalter +15 
5 Chavanel +17 
6 Poels +20 
7 Sanchez +21 
8 Valverde +22


Tejay van Garderen:
“It’s a big confidence booster but we definitely have our minds firmly set on tomorrow. It’s going to be a tough challenge, but we’re excited".

Wilco Kelderman:
“I finished second a many times in time trials already and the difference is only two seconds today. It was a long time trial, so I’m quite fed up with that. A time trial is a very fair race, on the other hand, so I can only blame myself. I really wanted this victory. I’m in a good condition and I proved that today. I built up to this race well, I had the right rhythm and Addy Engels’s coaching was worth a lot. I’m satisfied with my performance, but I keep looking forward. I want to win races. I had a great winter and I’ve been feeling strong for quite a while. That gives me a lot of confidence. I’m second in the general classification and I’m only two seconds behind, so I’m going for the win tomorrow. If I’m feeling good in the end of the stage, I will go all in to win the general classification.”


Bauke Mollema:
"It was windy and a hard course. I am quite satisfied and where I finished was more or less my level. It was a good test; it has been a long time since I did a time trial 20kms or more, I think it was one and a half years ago, so that's long. It was an excellent measure for the rest of the season where there are a lot of races coming up with an important TT: Tour de France, Tirreno TTT, Basque Country... I am happy where I finished." 


Volta ao Algarve
STAGE 4
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx - Quick Step 4:46:35  
2 Wouter Wippert (Ned) Cannondale Pro Cycling Team  
3 Jens Debusschere (Bel) Lotto Soudal  
4 Jonas Van Genechten (Bel) Iam Cycling  
5 José Joaquín Rojas (Spa) Movistar Team  
6 Andrea Pasqualon (Ita) Team Roth  
7 Phil Bauhaus (Ger) Bora-Argon  
8 Dylan Groenewegen (Ned) Team Lottonl - Jumbo  
9 Samuel Caldeira (Por) W52-Fc Porto-Porto Canal  
10 Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek - Segafredo  
GC
1 Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx - Quick Step 14:08:57  
2 Geraint Thomas (Gbr) Team Sky 0:00:03  
3 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:20  
4 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal 0:00:41  
5 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Fdj 0:00:47  
6 Primož Roglic (Slo) Team Lottonl - Jumbo 0:00:52  
7 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Katusha 0:00:59  
8 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha 0:01:04  
9 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) Iam Cycling 0:01:05  
10 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff 0:01:07

Marcel Kittel:
“I can’t find the words to express my happiness. We did a great race today and we showed again a fantastic team spirit. We can all be very proud of what we achieved. It was a pretty fast and chaotic finale. Fabio Sabatini risked a lot to bring me into a good position, and I can’t thank him enough for his effort. He took me to the front with one kilometer to go and did an incredible lead-out, leaving me to open my sprint in the final 200 meters and finish off the job. Today’s victory if of the entire team, because the boys looked after me all the time, controlled the race and made sure I’m in a safe position.” 


Tony Martin:
“The stage was more or less relaxed, the riders weren’t nervous and everything was under control until the final 25 kilometers, when things became really hectic and many riders crashed. Even though the last kilometers weren’t easy, we did a perfect job and finished safely, which is equally important. Tomorrow it won’t be easy, but I will give my best and will try to stay with Geraint, although I’m sure attacks will come also from other riders. It’s going to be again a hard day, but I can count on a great team and we’ll see how things go”

Alex Dowsett:
"First unscheduled lay down of the year. Couldn't bunny hop @AndreGreipel as hard as I tried, but I bounced well, minimal damage."

Andre Greipel:
"Sorry @alexdowsett my rips found out that you didn't make it to bunny hop me...sorry that I put you down... congrats @marcelkittel"



Tout of Oman
STAGE
1 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Not) Dimension Data 3:05:32  
2 Greg van Avermaet (Bel) BMC  
3 Marco Canola (Ita) UnitedHealthcare  
4 Simone Ponzi (Ita) CCC Sprandi  
5 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx-QuickStep  
6 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Stölting Service Group  
7 Sven Erik Bystrom (Nor) Katusha  
8 Adam Phelan (Aus) Drapac Professional Cycling  
9 Marco Marcato (Ita) Wanty-Groupe Gobert  
10 Nathan Haas (Aus) Dimension Data  
GC
1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 19:24:07  
2 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:15  
3 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:00:24  
4 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:40  
5 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida 0:00:54  
6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 0:01:06  
7 Brendan Canty (Aus) Drapac Professional Cycling 0:01:31  
8 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:38  
9 Merhawi Kudus (Eri) Dimension Data 0:01:41  
10 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:59

Edval Boasson Hagen:
“I was feeling pretty good already in Qatar and I’ve taken two stages here now so I’m pretty happy with that. I feel sorry for (teammate) Jacques because he was so close to winning, but I feel happy for myself.”

Greg Van Avermaet:
“Boasson Hagen’s in a great form, and he showed that by staying with the leaders for so long on Green Mountain yesterday. But I’m very happy with my condition. It would have been better to get a win, but I’m up there the whole time.”
Romain Bardet:
“It was a complicated. The team did a good job, but here was a headwind in the finale after the climb so it was hard for anyone to get away.”

Vincenzo Nibali:
“Today was a hard stage because we had to do that climb three times and we had yesterday’s efforts in our legs. But my team controlled it well and I had Michele Scarponi and Fuglsang with me in the finale, so it was perfect.”

Jacques Van Rensburg:
“I knew they were coming but I was looking around and I didn’t really see them so I thought okay, maybe I’d have to sprint. Then when I saw them coming, I was a little bit disappointed but cycling is a team sport. I’m just happy we could win a stage with Edvald.”

Jacopo Guarnieri:
"I have to admit it: me and the heat aren't good friend so far!"


No comments: