2.03.2016

Dubai Tour 1 (and other dubious races)

Embedded image permalinkHonestly, I don't like these races. In this period there are many minor competitions, mostly dedicated to sprinters, that I'm not going to watch nor cover. Dubai, Qatar and Oman are a little different though because of the high level of the peloton. I can't say I'm not interested in sprints involving Mark Cavendish and Marcel Kittel. I am. And those boring races in the desert usually finish in style. Tour of Oman then it isn't a pure sprinters' race because there is at least one great mountain stage and I'm curious to see where climbers stand at this point of the season. It says nothing for Giro or Tour but shows who had a good winter and who didn't.
That's why I'll cover these three races and NOT others held in this period. I hope I'll go watching some Italian race: Strade Biance for sure and maybe Costa degli Etruschi...

Marcel Kittel:
Embedded image permalink"Especially after the hard season I had last year, I'm incredibly happy that I could win today for my first race with my new team. Everything has worked so well that I can't think of any topic to raise to make it better. The boys have done a good job. We were the strongest in the lead out and the timing was perfect. We made a plan and we executed it. I surely enjoy the win. This one has a special flavour. As I said before the season, I restart at zero. I feel very good about today's outcome. We'll stay focused and hopefully there's more to come for us at the Dubai Tour.." 

Mark Cavendish:
"I’m obviously disappointed not to win today, but I’ve taken a lot of positives from the race. The Team Dimension Data boys took control and rode brilliant all day to set up a sprint finish. When I saw Etixx had a lot of guys in the final, I wanted Kittel’s wheel, but so did the other sprinters. In the end I started from too far behind Marcel in the sprint but to close 1.5 bike lengths on him in the final, I’m pretty happy with my condition and with the work the boys did for me today. I’m sorry I couldn’t pay them back with the win, but we’ll keep trying."

Giacomo Nizzolo:
"When I look at who finished in front of me and who finished behind me, and how we performed at the end, I have to be satisfied," explained Nizzolo. "It is hard to say always second, third, but today I am happy with the third. Now we look ahead, there's more chances in the next days and nothing is impossible – we will keep trying."

RESULTS
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step 3:35:21
2 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dimension Data
3 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo
4 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre - Merida
5 Andrea Palini (Ita) Skydive Dubai Pro Cycling Team - Al Ahli Club
6 Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana Pro Team
7 Chris Opie (GBr) ONE Pro Cycling
8 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
9 Michal Kolar (Svk) Tinkoff Team
10 Tomas Vaitkus (Ltu) Al Nasr Pro Cycling Team-Dubai
11 Bert De Backer (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
12 Juan Jose Lobato Del Valle (Spa) Movistar Team
13 Grzegorz Stepniak (Pol) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
14 Martijn Verschoor (Ned) Team Novo Nordisk
15 Michael Gogl (Aut) Tinkoff Team
16 Gorka Izaguirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar Team
17 Erik Baska (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:05
18 Fabio Sabatini (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
19 Silvan Dillier (Swi) BMC Racing Team
20 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff Team

GC
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step 3:35:11
2 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dimension Data 0:00:04
3 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:06
4 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre - Merida 0:00:09
5 Andrea Palini (Ita) Skydive Dubai Pro Cycling Team - Al Ahli Club 0:00:10
6 Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana Pro Team
7 Chris Opie (GBr) ONE Pro Cycling
8 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
9 Michal Kolar (Svk) Tinkoff Team
10 Tomas Vaitkus (Ltu) Al Nasr Pro Cycling Team-Dubai
11 Bert De Backer (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
12 Juan Jose Lobato Del Valle (Spa) Movistar Team
13 Grzegorz Stepniak (Pol) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
14 Martijn Verschoor (Ned) Team Novo Nordisk
15 Michael Gogl (Aut) Tinkoff Team
16 Gorka Izaguirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar Team
17 Erik Baska (Svk) Tinkoff Team
18 Fabio Sabatini (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:13
19 Silvan Dillier (Swi) BMC Racing Team
20 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff Team 0:00:15

The Blue Jersey: Marcel Kittel (ETIXX - QUICK STEP)
The Red Jersey: Marcel Kittel (ETIXX - QUICK STEP)
The White Jersey: Soufiane Haddi (SKYDIVE DUBAI PRO CYCLING TEAM - AL AHLI CLUB)
The UAE Flag Jersey: Soufiane Haddi (SKYDIVE DUBAI PRO CYCLING TEAM - AL AHLI CLUB)

No comments: