2.05.2016

Dubai Tour 3: Lobato's Win (also) For Malori But Nizzolo Looks Good in Blue

Embedded image permalinkJuanjo Lobato:
"This victory makes me immensely excited and happy - I owe everything to my team-mates for their support. We knew we had to stay calm until the downhill after the last climb and give everything afterwards. They all were phenomenal in the finale, just like throughout the race. I knew the climb from last year's finish and it was one that really liked and suited me. I learnt there that being in a good position into that last corner right was crucial; last year I couldn't get things done right, but this time was the good one.
I've worked really hard during the winter and this is a reward for that sacrifice, a proof that my condition is perfect at the moment and an extra boost of morale for the spring. I want to do well in the classics - it's been long spoken about Sanremo and me; the team likes the race, I personally love it and I want to keep that form coming. I put too much pressure on myself last season and couldn't be up there - let's hope we make it in 2016. I also think about those other classics: Gent-Wevelgem, De Ronde... I won't focus entirely on them, to avoid that pressure, but I'd still like to give them a try.
For the time being, I'm already very happy to get my first win of the season here. Tomorrow? Let's hope I still stand a chance to win overall; I'm happy with today's success, but last year I took more risks into that flat finish and even got a 3rd place. You never know; it's still at my reach.
This victory is a tribute to my son, José, born three months ago, and Adriano Malori. I hope he can return to Italy soon and recover perfectly well. Everyone at this team thinks of him everyday."

Embedded image permalinkGiacomo Nizzolo:
"To be honest, I didn't know this finish, and I thought it was a bit longer. When we hit the last corner, I had in front of me only [Philippe] Gilbert and Fabian, so I was waiting a bit. When I saw Lobato coming from behind, then I thought, 'Ah, maybe the finish is very close, so I'd better go!  It's a pity to be second again, but still I can say I am happy because I have been on the podium in the two flat stages and today again on an uphill finish. And I am in the leader's jersey – that's also good news! "It will be hard tomorrow, but first we will enjoy tonight and tomorrow we will see."

Silvan Dillier:
"It was a pretty hectic finish with some corners and speed bumps. We tried to stay calm until the last moment. I felt really good, I tried to stay with the team. Unfortunately I lost the wheel of Samuel Sánchez who did a really good job in getting us through the peloton smoothly and put Phil in a good position at the bottom of the climb. In the end I got third. It was a nice effort at the end and hopefully I gained a few places in the GC. The whole day it was a little bit windy and stressful as you're never sure what's going to happen so you need to be focused all the time, and always have some power on the pedals. My shape is good and I'm also on track with my Track World Championships preparation. I feel good. Yesterday was a nice stage in the breakaway and then today finishing third, so all good so far." 

Mark Cavendish:
“Not often I'm top15 over a decisive climb. So when I am, a puncture on the descent's a good way to bring me back down to earth. Poor Bernhard Eisel crashed in the feedzone & broke his collarbone. Not nice at all to see one of my best mates go down."

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Juan Jose Lobato (Spa) Movistar 4:13:23  
2 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:02  
3 Silvan Dilier (Swi) BMC Racing 0:00:04  
4 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek-Segafredo  
5 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing  
6 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx-QuickStep  
7 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Movistar 0:00:07  
8 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff  
9 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice  
10 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:11  
GC
1 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 11:56:11  
2 Juan Jose Lobato (Spa) Movistar 0:00:02  
3 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:06  
4 Silvan Dilier (Swi) BMC Racing 0:00:12  
5 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Movistar 0:00:19  
6 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing 0:00:21  
7 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek-Segafredo  
8 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff 0:00:24  
9 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice  
10 Soufiane Haddi (Mor) Skidive Dubai 0:00:25 

The Blue Jersey Giacomo Nizzolo (Trek - Segafredo)
The Red Jersey Giacomo Nizzolo (Trek - Segafredo)
The White Jersey Soutane Haddi (Skydive Dubai Pro Cycling Team - Al Ahli Club)
The UAE Flag Jersey Marcin Bialoblocki (One Pro Cycling)

No comments: