2.06.2016

Dubai Tour 4: Marcel Kittel Finally

Embedded image permalink
Marcel Kittel:
"I'm really, really happy. I was dreaming about this moment. I really wanted this. My team was fantastic all day and we did an incredible job to beat all the other teams, staying calm and attacking at the right moment. It's a great way to finish the Dubai Tour and my first race with Etixx - Quick Step. There wasn't any major tactic to stop Nizzolo – we just said it's all or nothing and fully concentrated on the final sprint. Our entire plan was centred on that goal. We hoped it would happen like this and it's amazing. My confidence is a thousand times higher than one year ago [a season plagued by injury]. I'm incredibly proud to start 2016 like this. This win in Dubai is a perfect base to start the season." 
“In the morning, at the technical meeting, we said it’s going to be all or nothing and that we’re going to focus only on the final sprint. During the stage, we stayed calm and moved to the front at the right moment. The key in the Dubai Tour is to have a strong team all the time, and I had one, which gave 100% for me. I was in an ideal position coming to the line and didn’t think at all of my opponents, just focused on doing things right. Now I’m very happy. That was the most important day of the race. It was a very hard ascent, with a 17% gradient, but I was in form and wanted to show what I can do on such a tough finish.It’s really awesome, it gives you a fantastic feeling to cap off the week like that. We trained a lot for the Dubai Tour in the winter and we were fully committed, not only because it was my first race of the season, but also because it was an opportunity to see how the train and the lead-out work. I’m more than satisfied with the way things went and I think we can all be proud. Now I’m even more motivated, and I can’t wait for the next races to come.”

Giacomo Nizzolo:
"We did a great job all day, and then we missed each other in the finale. That's why I could not be in a good position for the sprint. It's also part of the game when you work with your teammates - sometimes it goes well like yesterday, sometimes it goes wrong like today. I don't know if I am 7th in GC, or…?"

Mark Cavendish:
"With Daniel in the break we were in a great position today, not having to use our team to ride on the front. Obviously it was going to be more difficult without Bernie in the final, but the team were incredible. They kept me sheltered and safe near the front of the group. Actually, I was expecting a fast final 500m as the roadbook showed we did the slip-road. But as we approached, it was clear we did a sharp 100-degree corner. I was where I wanted to be behind Kittel and Viviani, but I entered the corner too sharply and scrubbed off too much speed. I left myself with too much to do in the final 250m against the fastest guys in the world. Overall, we’re really happy with the week. Obviously we had some bad luck, but Team Dimension Data were up at the front and visible the whole race. It’s only February but it is a very positive start for the rest of the year." 


MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx-QuickStep 02:50:47
2 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
3 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dimension Data
4 Andrea Palini (Ita) Skydive Dubai
5 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre-Merida
6 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo
7 Fabio Sabatini (Ita) Etixx-QuickStep
8 Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo
9 Erik Baska (Svk) Tinkoff
10 Yanto Barker (GBr) ONE Pro Cycling
FINAL GC
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx-QuickStep 14:46:54
2 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 00:00:04
3 Juan José Lobato (Spa) Movistar 00:00:06
4 Silvan Dillier (Swi) BMC 00:00:16
5 Gorka Izaguirre (Spa) Movistar 00:00:23
6 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC 00:00:25
7 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek-Segafredo
8 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff 00:00:28
9 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
10 Soufiane Haddi (Mar) Skydive Dubai 00:00:29
JERSEYS
The Blue Jersey: Marcel Kittel (Etixx - Quick Step)
The Red Jersey: Marcel Kittel (Etixx - Quick Step)
The White Jersey: Soufiane Haddi (Skydive Dubai Pro Cycling Team - Al Ahli Club)
The UAE Flag Jersey: Marcin Bialoblocki (One Pro Cycling)

No comments: