2.16.2016

Tour of Oman 1: This is Bob


Bob rocks. Be like Bob!
First day in my favourite Arabic race. Not the flat sandy desert but bald rocky mountains and some serious climbs.
A breack-awayChristoph Pfingsten (Bora-Argon 18), Kenny Dehaes (Wanty Groupe Gobert) , Berden De Vries (Roompot Oranje Peloton), Pieter Vanspeybrouck (Topsport-Vlaanderen Baloise), Peter Koning (Drapac) - only caught on the last ascent by a large group - including Jakob Fuglsang (Astana), Bob Jungels, Serge Pauwels, Romain Bardet, Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data), Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin), Greg Van Avermaet (BMC), Eduardo Sepulveda( Fortuneo Vital Concept), Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida), Davide Rebellin (CCC Sprandi Polkowice), Floris de Tier (Topsport), Vincenzo Nibali (Astana), Dan Martin (Etixx-QuickStep), Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R-La Mondiale), Patrick Konrad (Bora-Argon 18), Jacques Janse Van Resnburg (Dimension Data), and Jurgen van den Broeck (Katusha) BUT NOT Richie Porte - from where Bob Jungels emerged solo and kept his advantage  in the descent, until the finish.



Bob Jungels:
"I was really closed a few weeks ago so I'm really happy".
"We did the recon yesterday and I told the mechanics to put a 55-tooth on the front for the descent. I planned this attack for two days, even longer, so I'm happy with it. 
My objective was to win a stage and I've done that now. Tomorrow it might be hard to defend my lead but we have Dan Martin who could be really good on Green Mountain. We'll keep taking it day by day."

Jürgen Van Den Broeck:
"First stage done.. happy with the feeling first day always hard but my @katushacycling mates took care of me the whole day"
"I felt good, but not super yet. I think it is normal, because this is my first race. So, the stage was ok for me, but on the last climb I a little bit suffered and had to go 100% to stay with the leaders, but I knew this climb, so I was not afraid to lose contact and was sure I’ll come back on the downhill. On the downhill I even wanted to do something, but I did not have enough power for that. So, I was happy I am still there, because there was not a big group anymore. I will try to do better day by day, we will see. It was a warm day, the first heat and it’s always a bit different, but is was ok for me. I am happy with my first day of the season".

Sam Spokes:
"First stage of @tourofoman done! @DrapacCycling boys rode superb all day!Just off the back over the last climb! 5 more days to make our mark."

Serge Pauwels:

"There was a big selection on the last climb and I wasn’t actually in a great position at the bottom, so I was always just behind the leaders. I got back to the front group with Jacques on the descent at around 3km to go. The group split again going through a corner and when Jacques and I got back to the front there was only 1.5km to go. I wanted to do one good pull after the last roundabout for Edvald but nobody followed my wheel and so I kept chasing Jungels myself. Unfortunately, I could not catch his wheel in the end."

Dan Martin:
"Guilty of watching @BobJungels take the win, forgot to sprint myself. But I don't care. Great team performance finished in style #WaytoRide"

Floris De Tier:
"9th today @tourofoman. I'm very  happy! special thanks to my teammates nice teamwork boys!!👌👌 @teamTVLB"

Luke Roberts (Giant Alpecin Coach):
“The plan today was to keep Tom Dumoulin in the first group and to see if Søren could stay in contact as well. After the first ascent, everything was going according to plan but Søren had a mechanical problem before the last climb and ended up being on the limit.
On the last climb, the team weren’t in an ideal position, but Tom Dumoulin rode well and managed to stay in the first group. In the last kilometers, three riders got away and Tom Dumoulin was only beaten by Edvald Boasson Hagen in the group sprint.”

Laurens De Plus:
"This morning my roomie told me he was going to win, and he did! Only big champs are able to do this #respect #proud #waytoride"

Mike Teunissen:
"I’m quite fast, but not a real bunch sprinter. That means that I have to aim for races like today’s. It was a tough race, but I want to deliver in races like this. I was together with George just behind the first group today and we were trying to get back in the front. We failed, unfortunately, but I am working on these types of finishes.”

Greg van Avermaet:
“It was a really good stage for me and I was hoping to win. I was third or fourth over the climb but then we had nobody to control the race and then the attacks started. Three or four guys went away and then the race was over from there. It’s disappointing to not have sprinted for first place. I’m really happy with my form because I was there with the good climbers over the short climb.”

Richie Porte:
“It was quite a tough stage as it was fast and quite fast. It wasn’t really unexpected that I lost time. I didn’t really come with any ambitions apart from trying to get through the race and trying to get some form out of it. It’s a great race for getting good kilometers in the legs and for me the big target next is Paris-Nice. I’ll be taking it day by day as we said from the start.”

Romain Bardet:
"It was my second competition day of the season after GP La Marseillaise. I was important to know where I am. I am satisfied with the result of this first stage and with my form. Compared with the other years, the heat was not too oppressive.

There were too nervous climbs and the race was decanted in the last km. Generally I feel nervous on the first stage of a race. To day, it was not the case. This first day is what I expected to". 

Gerald Ciolek:
"Feels good to be racing after some great training in South Africa. So far so good with @TeamStoelting in @tourofoman #TOO2016"


MORE TO COME

STAGE
1 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx-QuickStep 3:37:33
2 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data 0:00:06
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale 0:00:08
4 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
5 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin
6 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
7 Rui Alberto Faria da Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida
8 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
9 Floris De Tier (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise
10 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team
11 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx-QuickStep
12 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R-La Mondiale
13 Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Argon 18
14 Jacques Janse van Rensburg (RSA) Dimension Data
15 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
16 Jurgen Van den Broeck (Bel) Team Katusha
17 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:22
18 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:24
19 Marco Marcato (Ita) Wanty-Groupe Gobert 0:00:32
20 Merhawi Kudus Ghebremedhin (Eri) Dimension Data
GC
1 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx-QuickStep 3:37:23
2 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data 0:00:10
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale 0:00:14
4 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 0:00:18
5 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin
6 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
7 Rui Alberto Faria da Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida
8 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
9 Floris De Tier (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise
10 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team
11 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx-QuickStep
12 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R-La Mondiale
13 Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Argon 18
14 Jacques Janse van Rensburg (RSA) Dimension Data
15 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
16 Jurgen Van den Broeck (Bel) Team Katusha
17 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx-QuickStep 0:00:32
18 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:34
19 Marco Marcato (Ita) Wanty-Groupe Gobert 0:00:42
20 Merhawi Kudus Ghebremedhin (Eri) Dimension Data
POINTS
1 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx-QuickStep 15 pts
2 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data 12
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale 9
YOUTH
1 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx-QuickStep 3:37:23
2 Floris De Tier (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise 0:00:18
3 Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Argon 18
4 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:34
5 Merhawi Kudus Ghebremedhin (Eri) Dimension Data 0:00:42
TEAM
1 Dimension Data 10:53:01
2 Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:08
3 Astana Pro Team 0:00:34
4 AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:48
5 Bora-Argon 18 0:01:04
6 CCC Sprandi Polkowice 0:01:33
7 UnitedHealthcare Professional Cycling Team 0:01:38
8 Drapac Professional Cycling 0:01:57
9 Team Giant-Alpecin
10 Wanty - Groupe Gobert
11 Team Katusha 0:02:00
12 Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:02:02
13 Stšlting Service Group 0:02:32
14 Lampre - Merida 0:02:39
15 BMC Racing Team 0:03:50
16 Fortuneo - Vital Concept
17 Topsport Vlaanderen - Baloise 0:04:17
18 Roompot - Oranje Peloton 0:04:49


No comments: