2.08.2016

Tour of Qatar 1: CAV

Embedded image permalink
Mark Cavendish:
"Our 1st win of the year! My @TeamDiData boys were phenomenal today. Selfless, strong, calculated. So proud. Thank you guys! #TourofQatar"

Embedded image permalink"We’ve probably got the best race director in the world for this race in Roger Hammond. We had a lot of confidence for today after last night’s team meeting. The split went pretty soon in the beginning and I was always looked after from the start. Jay Thomson always kept me there at the front in the beginning ready to go and when the group split Youcef Reguigui did a big turn to get me there, and then we had three in the front so that was okay. Obviously we had me there for the sprint and we wanted Edvald there for the overall. So we were content with having the 3 there. It was a long day and a hard. Unfortunately, Tyler punctured and he used too much energy to get back to me for the sprint but he was incredible in helping to keep the group away. Edvald just stayed with me in the final and I wanted Kristoff’s wheel because they had the numbers so we knew they’d do the leadout and Edvald just sweeped, he was there in case I needed him. I launched from Kristoff with about 200m to go, the road turned right so I hugged the right side and I knew no one would come round me then. It was great that Edvald was there as for sure he will be in contention after the time trial on Wednesday. In all, it was a super strong performance by all the guys and I am really happy to get the first win of the year."


RESULTS
STAGE
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dmension Data 3:28:46
2 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre-Merida
3 Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana
4 Sam Bennett (Irl) Bora Argon 18
5 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha
6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 7 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing
8 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) BMC Racing
9 Arnaud Gerard (Fra) Fortuneo Vital Concept  
10 Soren Kragh Anderson (Den) Giant-Alpecin
GC
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dmension Data 3:28:31 
2 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:00:08
3 Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana 0:00:11
4 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha 0:00:12
5 Viatcheslav Kuznetsov (Rus) Katusha 0:00:13 6 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing 0:00:14 7 Sam Bennett (Irl) Bora Argon 18 0:00:15
8 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
9 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) BMC Racing
10 Arnaud Gerard (Fra) Fortuneo Vital Concept

No comments: