2.10.2016

Tour of Qatar 3: Boasson Hagen and a lot of wind


Pic by  http://www.okmugello.it
Embedded image permalink
EBH
What a crazy wind today! and I'm not talking about Qatar, I'm talking about Florence. Riding to work has been a thril... till when I had to change direction and that crazy tail wind became a dangerous cross wind, so strong I risked to fall. Meanwhile the sky was a mess of flying clouds and disconcerting patches of blue. It started raining as I dismounted but as I locked my bike it had already stopped. Crazy weather, a wild early spring.
In Qatar the wind direction and its changes always are a factor. In a time trial even more. Time trial AND strong wind don't make a good pair, especially if you are using lenticular wheels on your bike. - Do you remember Andy Schleck's crash in the Dauphiné? - But I guess nobody did in Qatar and usually the most of the riders doesn't even use a tt bike.
Embedded image permalink
EBH

Edvald Boasson Hagen won and Søren Kragh Andersen (9th) is back in White. I'm glad to see that Jos van Emden was 2nd today: for me he's still the guy who proposed to his girlfriend during the Giro itt on the Zoncolan!

Rick Zabel:
Embedded image permalink
Søren Kragh Andersen 
"Happy with my ITT here in Quatar,17... first day i felt good after the travel from Australia to here... 2days to go!!!"

Jesse Sergent:
"That one hurt. Had hoped for better, but missing that top end power but all in all a good hit out! 2 days of desert riding to go!"
Embedded image permalink
Søren Kragh Andersen 

Nils Politt:
"Good ITT from me today Place 11 I am very proud of this result @tourofqatar_ @katushacycling"

Jos van Emden:
“I never consider myself well off, but I thought that I would have a good chance to win this time trial. When I heard that Boasson Hagen was 25 seconds faster, it hurt me. It’s always hard to be dethroned, but it proves that he’s simply the best on the other hand. I delivered a good time trial. The difference between is the power.”

Manuel Quinziato:
Embedded image permalink
Mark Cavendish
"Third in a time trial at this level is a good sign. I spent a good winter at the training camps we did. I knew I had good shape in training but you never know how're you're going to feel in the race and today was a good confirmation that I'm starting the season off on the right foot.
We are happy. I think we are in third and fourth on GC with two stages to go, so we can still try something.'

Greg Van Avermaet:
"I'm pretty happy with my time trial. Before last year I had never done a good time trial so I tried to do my best this year. I did the same average in terms of power as last year which was good.
I think I'm fourth in the GC. I was hoping that Boasson Hagen would not be so strong and that everyone would stay at the same level so that I could have taken the jersey. It's a little bit disappointing but it's only the start of the season."
Embedded image permalink
Manuel Quinziato

Boasson Hagen:
“It didn’t feel like I was going fast on the course, but I think when you suffer a lot, you don’t feel like you’re going fast. I felt good earlier in the week and it’s good to get the proof that I was going well.”

Mark Cavendish:
“He’s the same rider he was at HTC. He was kind of in a service role more at Sky so we didn’t really get to see what he could do anymore. I rode with him and he was still as strong as ever if not stronger but obviously they had other ambitions at Sky. But he’s back in an environment where he can kind of flourish as a racer and he’s definitely showing that. He’s mental, he never shuts up! One thing I’ve noticed since I rode with him at HTC is how he’s grown as a leader. He’s one of the old guys on the team now and for a quiet lad, he really motivates the other riders. He knows how to ride as a unit, he knows how to be a leader and road captain. It’s superb to see him grow into a leadership role and he definitely inspires the young African lads.”

Alexander Kristoff:
“He’s gone back to his old trainer and I think that move was good for him because at Sky he had to work a lot, and they wanted him to develop into another rider. But now he is developing back to where he was before, I think. You can see from today that he has his power back. On the other days, he was in the first echelon, and he’s doing good sprints again. He’s starting to look like the good old Edvald we remember from a few years ago.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 0:13:26
2 Jos Van Emden (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:25 3 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) BMC 0:00:29
4 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC 0:00:32
5 Dmitriy Gruzdev (Kaz) Astana 0:00:40
6 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana 0:00:43
7 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dimension Data 0:00:44
8 Jordan Keby (NZl) Drapac
9 Soren Kragh Andersen (Dan) Giant-Alpecin 0:00:45
10 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC 0:00:47
GC
1 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 6:53:35
2 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dimension Data 0:00:26
3 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) BMC 0:00:32
4 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC 0:00:34
5 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha 0:00:45
6 Soren Kragh Andersen (Dan) Giant-Alpecin 0:00:48
7 Sven Erik Bystrom (Nor) Katusha 0:01:02
8 Sam Bennett (Ire) Bora-Argon 18 0:01:07
9 Viacheslav Kuznetsov (Rus) Katusha 0:01:10
10 Michael Schar (Swi) BMC 0:01:15
POINTS
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Dimension Data 36 pts
2 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 29
3 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 27
YOUTH
1 Søren Kragh Andersen (Den) Team Giant-Alpecin 6:54:23
2 Sven Erik Bystrøm (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:14
3 Nils Politt (Ger) Team Katusha 0:01:49
TEAM
1 BMC Racing Team 20:42:42
2 Team Katusha 0:01:00
3 Bora-Argon 18 0:01:36

No comments: