3.30.2016

Three Days of De Panne 2: Viviani, CHE CLASSE!

Pic by ONE Pro Cycling ‏@ONEProCycling 

Day two in De Panne and 122.4 km to ride, including 8 cobble sections and climbs.
The daily break is made of Ligthart, Van Lerberghe, Tonelli, Slik, Tenbrock, Zilioli, Stash and Morice. After 53 km they have 7'13".
80 km to go the bunch splits. The gap is down to 4'20. Van Lerberghe speeds up, Slik and Ligthart follow.
58 km to go, a big crash brings dowm several riders in the group. A Bardiani rider, Nicola Boem, is still on the ground.
De Moeren: a few more riders lose contact from the back of the peloton. 50 km to go the break has 3'20''.
33 km to go, Slik wins on Ligthart the first intermediate sprint.
28 km to go Ligthart  tries to excape. He gets a gap. The peloton is 1'39'' behind.
24 km to go, mechanical for Bodnar.
15 km to go Ligthart's advatage is only 30" and he's caught 14 km to go.
Last of the 3 local laps. A huge crowd is waiting in Koksijde. It's a very long sprint!
Kittel takes it in front, Kristoff tries to pass him, Viviani jumps off Kittel's wheel and wins. Che classe!

Elia Viviani:
"I must thank my mate who put me in the best position at the last bend: it was very important to be on Kittel's wheel. I knew he was having the best train but I also knew there was head wind making hard a long sprint, that's why I waited on his wheel and jumped off at the last minute. I really needed this result because I'm coming from a little disappointing period where I missed my goals. After Paris-Roubaix I'll take a break because I'm on the limit now. Giro d'Italia is my next goal and it's going to very important."


Marcel Kittel:
"I am very disappointed, but it's not a shame to lose to Viviani. The team worked really hard to take me there and provide me a strong lead-out. I started my sprint early, because otherwise I wouldn't have been on the podium, and Elia took advantage of that. Despite this, I see the positive side of this defeat, which is that both the team and I are very strong and have confidence; that's very encouraging for my next goal of the season, Scheldeprijs".

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Elia Viviani
2 Marcel Kittel
3 Kristoff
4 Capiot
5 Petit
6 R Kreder
7 Simion
8 Sarreau
9 Baska
10 Savitskiy
GC
1 Kristoff
2 Lutsenko +5
3 Westra +10
4 Pedersen +43
5 Van Lerberghe +45
6 Durbridge +46
7 Zabel +48
8 Martin +48
9 Morkov +49

No comments: