3.10.2016

Tirreno-Adriatico 2: Pomarance


Sunny, windy and freezing cold. A much expected stage. Let's see how it play out!
A break is away - Cecchinel, Andreetta, Benedetti, Mas Bonet, Mihaylov, Zurlo - They excaped from the gun and after 61 km the gap is 6'45".
55km the gap is down to 3'54" as BMC is leading the chase in the the peloton.
36 km to go Bauke Mollema has to change his back wheel because of a puncure. Mark Cavendish seems also dropped at the back. Time for both to chase a bit.
J├╝rgen Van Den Broeck didn't start this morning due to illness.
First passage on the finish line in Pomarance: the break is still away but its advantage is fast decreasing, 17 km to go they have just 43" on the bunch.
9 km to go: break over, race on! Crash: Losada and Haller.
Team Sky goes in front setting the oace. Then Astana comes.
5 km to go Visconti attacks. Montaguti closes the gap. By the way Pozzovivo is dropped but his Team doesn't wait.
3 km to go Selvaggi attacks. Ulissi and Brambilla close the gap and attack. KOM: now Stybar goes solo. 
Team Tinkoff is chasing. Monfort punctures. Last km: Nibali attacks and tries to bridge. In vain!
Stybar wins solo. The Sagan comes.

Zdenek Stybar:
“The steepest part was tough, and we knew the big move had to come there. We talked with our sport director Davide Bramati more than two weeks ago about this finish, which was very technical. I was focused, I knew the plan and went for it, because this was my chance. It’s a very nice moment and it makes me happy, especially after missing out on the team time trial win and the Strade Bianche one in the past days. I am content with my shape, as I worked hard to get here. Tirreno-Adriatico marks the beginning of an important block of races in which I hope to be protagonist. 
I would love to keep the blue jersey until the end, but I know this is going to be difficult. The Monte San Vicino stage is a tough one, but I will fight for it. Anyway, we also have Gianluca for that day, and he’s in very good condition. I don’t want to think about it now, we will take it day by day and see how things pan out.” 


Bob Jungels (white jersey):
“For the team it has been an excellent day, in which we showed that we can have somebody in the front all the time, regardless of the terrain. For my part, I want to get a good result in the general classification, but it will all come down to Sunday’s stage.” 

Wout Poels:
"It was a good day. The team were really strong in the final on that small, twisty road, and we achieved our main goal of me and Kwiato not losing any time on GC. We were on the front when he hit that last climb and dropped some riders on the steepest sections. I was feeling good, and hopefully that will set me up well for the rest of the week. I've come here on the back of a good block of training and I hope I can fight for the jersey. I'll have to wait a little longer to do that, tomorrow looks like it should be a sprint stage so we'll be riding for Elia who we know can be there at the end."

Edvald Boasson Hagen:
"It was a fast stage but I was comfortable throughout the day. I started the last climb in a good position but I didn’t feel super good at the top so I didn’t try an attack but I should’ve attacked just after the climb. I tried to save as much as I could for the sprint and I did a good sprint at the finish but we weren’t close enough to catch Stybar. It was a pity in the end but there are still more stages to come."

Greg Van Avermae:
“It was a hard final but I think we rode pretty well. Stybar went at the right moment and then there was a moment of hesitation when nobody could react. Nibali attacked and then we just tried to close it for the sprint. I was up there and I was feeling really good on the climb which was important so I feel good for the next days.”

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step 5:10:03
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:01
3 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
4 Simon Clarke (Aus) Cannondale Pro Cycling
5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team
7 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
8 Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
9 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky
10 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
11 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky
12 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida
13 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge
14 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team
15 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo
16 Sergei Chernetski (Rus) Team Katusha
17 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
18 Daniel Moreno (Spa) Movistar Team
19 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale Pro Cycling
20 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-GreenEdge
21 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team
22 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
23 Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
24 Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec
25 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team
26 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
27 Oscar Gatto (Ita) Tinkoff Team
28 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team
29 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
30 Nelson Oliveira (Por) Movistar Team
DNS Bert De Backer (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
DNS Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Team Katusha
GC
1 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step 5:33:50
3 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
4 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team
5 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team
6 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:11
7 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step
8 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:14
9 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:00:18
10 Sebastian Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ

No comments: