3.11.2016

Tirreno-Adriatico 3: Gaviria

Don't be misled: it's cold. There is the sun but there is also a stinging wind. The countryside is already a little blooming with hawthorn and fruit trees.
There is a break-away including Cecchinel, D. Goncalves, Villella and A. Honkisz.  49 km to go they have 2'41" on the peloton.
31 km to go the gap is down to 2'05". 18 km to go it's just 1'06". 9 km to go the break have  just 30".
Not exactly a trilling day!
The break is eventually caught and at the bunch sprint Gaviria wins on Caleb Ewan.

Fernando Gaviria:
“I am very happy for taking a win in my first World Tour race and for repaying the team’s confidence. I worked hard to get here and now I’m enjoying this incredible day. I rode pressure-free, my goal was to take it day by day and see how my legs will respond. It has been an excellent week so far for the team. I am in good shape and I have to thank for that to our trainer, Koen Pelgrim, who was very close to me in the past months. The last kilometer wasn’t as tough as we thought, that’s why many sprinters made it over that small climb. I had a very strong team, who helped me a lot before I jumped into Sagan’s wheel and launched my sprint. I want to thank the entire team for their work, because I got to experience this special feeling, of notching my maiden World Tour victory. Of course, winning the Omnium world title was also very emotional, but these are two victories which can’t be compared.
To be quite frankly, I can’t wait to race Milan-Sanremo, but I’m not thinking of getting the victory there. Let’s not forget that I’ve never rode a 300-km long race. For me, it will be a great moment even to be at the start, and all I want is to enjoy this Classic, to see how my body will react and gain valuable experience.” 


Zdenek Stybar:
“What I know for sure is that Fernando is very talented and extremely fast. Think about it: he returned this week from the Track World Championships, where he won the Omnium gold medal for the second year in a row, and he still was in great shape, helping the team in the TTT and now doing this amazing sprint. In Tirreno he is my roommate and I got to know him better: Fernando is a great guy and I’m sure he’ll win many races. He’s still very young and we have seen just a glimpse of what he can really do.” 

Moreno Hofland:
“With 1400 metres to go, there was a turn to the left. We had to make a move there to reach the first ten riders, but we lost contact. We weren’t able to do our thing and lost many places in the pack. Our chances disappeared already there actually.”

Giacomo Nizzolo:
"It was a really fast finish because it was a tailwind. I tried to use the work of the other teams, I was well-positioned in the last kilometer, but I didn't have the legs to finish it off. I didn't feel so good in the sprint; it was a hard sprint - a bit uphill - which normally is good for me, but of course last week I was sick and I cannot pretend to be 100 percent. I did the best that I could do today."


MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE

1 Fernando Gaviria (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 4:17:28
2 Caleb Ewan (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge
3 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
4 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team
5 Leigh Howard (Aus) IAM Cycling
6 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo
7 Zico Waeytens (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
8 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre - Merida
9 Moreno Hofland (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
10 Nikias Arndt (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin
11 Ramon Sinkeldam (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin
12 José Gonçalves (Por) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
13 Jens Debusschere (Bel) Lotto Soudal
14 Tom Van Asbroeck (Bel) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
15 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
16 Simone Ponzi (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
17 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky
18 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team
19 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
20 Pim Ligthart (Ned) Lotto Soudal
GC
1 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx - Quick-Step 9:51:18
2 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:00:09
3 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team
4 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
5 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
6 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:11
7 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step
8 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 0:00:14
9 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:00:18
10 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ
11 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team 0:00:20
12 Oscar Gatto (Ita) Tinkoff Team
13 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:24
14 Andriy Grivko (Ukr) Astana Pro Team
15 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team
16 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
17 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:26
18 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky 0:00:30
19 Wout Poels (Ned) Team Sky
20 Peter Kennaugh (GBr) Team Sky

No comments: