5.18.2016

Giro 11: Ramping

Flat stage with a ramping finale. There is a break-away including Laengen, Vorobyev and Bertazzo. 72 km to go they have 4'09" on the peloton.
The fight for pink lost another main character as Tom Dumoulin quit
Trek-Segafredo is leading the bunch.
Suddenly a big crash brings down several riders. Now the peloton is about 50 riders and approaching the Forcella Mostaccin, 4th cat. climb, Betancur attacks. In front only Laengen is left.
19 km to go Laengen is caught. Kruijswijk attacks. A new break formed in the descent with all the gc riders.
Nibali, Valverde e Chavez got a gap. Five riders are chasing: Jungels, Uran, Formolo, Kruijswijk, Zakarin, Majka and Amador.
13 km to go the two groups merge and immediately Amador attacks. Jungels joins. Kruijswijk follows.
Behind other riders are back in the chasing group.
5 km to go the gap is just 7''. Ulissi joins. The three go to the line. Jungels pulls ful gaz. Ulissi sprints to win the stage but Jungels doesn't care: he's all for the Pink.
Giacomo Nizzolo wins the sprint in the peloton on Sonny Colbrelli.

Diego Ulissi:
"I came here for a stage win and now I've got two, so I'm very happy - for the team as well because they worked very hard. They chased down the break today and spent a lot of energy doing so. We controlled it well after that - even Modolo worked for me. It was hard on the climb but I'm going well on the climbs at the moment. I can thank Mohoric and Conti for setting me up. I didn't want to wait for the sprint. I managed to save a bit of energy on the downhill bit and was able to use it in the sprint."


Bob Jungels:
“I was expecting an attack from Amador, so I just went with him and in the end I felt really good. I wasn’t expecting that last small cobbled climb, when Ulissi jumped across, and in the end I thought I would go for the stage win, which would be hard in a sprint or I just keep pulling to gain time on the others. I lost two seconds on Amador but I gained a few on the others, which isn’t too bad.”

"I felt good today, but for sure it wasn't easy out there, especially as the crash took out of the pack some of our guys. On the climb, as soon as the attacks came, the group was narrowed to 7-8 riders. Then, when Amador went, I knew I had to follow him, so I made the most out of that action. When Ulissi bridged across, I became aware of the fact that I won't have a chance in a sprint, so I decided to go for seconds and try to take as many as possible. Overall, I'm content with the outcome of the stage and I'm looking forward to the next days".

Team Sky DS Dario Cioni:
"It was a really fast stage. There were repeated attacks right from the start and in the first part of the race was averaging over 50km/h. It took almost 70km for the breakaway to finally go and with there being only three guys in that move, it was never going to stay away.
We'd tried numerous times to get in that group but it just didn't happen, so the plan then was to sit back and wait for that lumpy last 25km. Unfortunately most of our team was caught up in the big crash and only Mikel [Nieve] made it through OK. He rode well all the way to the finish.
Sebastian also proved again that he has good legs and he finished strongly in that group with Domenico Pozzovivo. The stages this weekend will suit our guys better than today's, so we're waiting for that now." 

Giacomo Nizzolo:
"Today for us was an important stage because our sponsor Segafredo is from this town. We left everything on the road – big thanks to the team, they really believe in me. We took our responsibility today and we pulled from 70-kilometers. And then, I gave everything as always - 100 percent, maybe more today.
I really suffered on the climb, and in the end, I was with top riders from the GC, so I think you can say that was a good performance from a sprinter to be there with these climbers! In the sprint, I was the fastest. It was not quite enough, and I think we missed some luck today. It seems it has been 3 or 4 years that I have missed some luck… Maybe everything will come back at once?
I think there are three more chances for me, not more. Still, it is a real missed chance today but we have to look forward, always. Tomorrow is another chance and we will regroup and be focused and go full again.  As I have said, and I will always say, I try 100 percent every time… One day it will come."

Matej Mohorič:
"One more perfect day for us here in the Giro. The whole team today worked hard and at the end Diego made sure it all paid off!
Tomorrow we have a new opportunity to make it work in the sprint with Sacha! Can't wait for that final! ‪#‎motivated‬"

Gianluca Brambilla:
"Unfortunately, somebody hit me from behind right before the key moment of the day, and I couldn't return to the bunch. It's a pity, because I was having strong legs and was confident in what I could do on that climb. Hopefully, it isn't anything serious and tomorrow, when a flat course awaits, I will have an easy day and recover".

Steven Kruijswijk:
“I wanted to test myself. Besides that, it was important for me to start the descent in front of the group. I had a good day, but wasn’t able to follow Jungels and Amador unfortunately. They broke away quite easily and when I tried to react to them, Valverde caught me. It wasn’t worth it to go on afterwards.”

Vincenzo Nibali:
"Every opportunity could be worth it, it could be the right move. We're here to race, not to go for a stroll. When you see a chance, it's only right to go for it, and even to try surprise moves and counter attacks. That's racing. It didn't work out today but if it had, we could have gained 30 or 40 seconds, which could have been really important in the fight for the overall classification. I told Valverde to work to but he said ‘no, no' and said he had Amador behind. He wasn't convinced it would work and so we sat up. Then when we got caught, Amador attacked… It was perhaps difficult to do something today but it made me think that Movistar is now racing with two riders, I think they want to try to play the GC with two riders. But if Valverde wanted to gain time today he could have worked with me and it would have happened. He didn't and so that's what makes me think about their tactics. Today we missed chance to gain time on people like Pozzovivo, Majka, Kruijswijk and Zakarin. It's important to stay calm and focused. There's still a lot of racing ahead of us and a lot of climbing to do, which will reveal who is really riding well".

Simon Clarke:
"Thanks to @UranRigoberto for grabbing me by the back of the jersey and saving me from going into the canal today!!👌👍"

Manuele Boaro:
"The big crash that took place had a big impact on the race today, but fortunately Rafal wasn't affected by this and we were able to keep him safety in the front group - this was the most important task of the stage. I myself would have liked to attack solo but the legs I had weren't able to do it at the end today. Overall after 11 stages I'm happy with how the team is positioned and how my shape is, and we still have ten stages, of which some are really important. We will continue working to hopefully help Rafal make some big differences over his GC rivals."

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida 4:56:32
2 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team
3 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step
4 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:13
5 Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bardiani CSF
6 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
7 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre - Merida
8 Enrico Battaglin (Ita) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
9 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal  
10 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
11 Ivan Savitskiy (Rus) Gazprom-Rusvelo
12 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha
13 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale Pro Cycling
14 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff Team
15 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
16 Kanstantsin Siutsou (Blr) Dimension Data
17 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Lotto Soudal
18 Sergey Firsanov (Rus) Gazprom-Rusvelo  
19 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-GreenEdge
20 Valerio Conti (Ita) Lampre - Merida
21 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team
22 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Trek-Segafredo
23 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling
24 Rein Taaramae (Est) Team Katusha
25 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky
26 Manuele Boaro (Ita) Tinkoff Team
27 Carlos Betancur (Col) Movistar Team
28 Stefano Pirazzi (Ita) Bardiani CSF
29 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team
30 Jose Joaquin Rojas (Spa) Movistar Team
31 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:30
32 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
33 Sebastian Henao (Col) Team Sky 
GC
1 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step 45:16:20
2 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:00:24
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:07
4 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
5 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:09
6 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff Team 0:02:01
7 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha 0:02:25
8 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-GreenEdge 0:02:43
9 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:02:45
10 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida 0:02:47
11 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:03:12
12 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:03:39
13 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Trek-Segafredo 0:03:56
14 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:01
15 Stefano Pirazzi (Ita) Bardiani CSF 0:04:27
16 Kanstantsin Siutsou (Blr) Dimension Data 0:04:33
17 Sergey Firsanov (Rus) Gazprom-Rusvelo 0:04:59
18 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team
19 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:05:49
20 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:07:21
21 Tanel Kangert (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:09:42
22 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Dimension Data 0:09:58
23 Matteo Montaguti (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:10:05
24 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:12:52
25 Sebastian Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:13:31
26 Darwin Atapuma (Col) BMC Racing Team 0:13:42
27 Valerio Conti (Ita) Lampre - Merida 0:14:38
28 Andre Cardoso (Por) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:15:27
29 Pavel Kochetkov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:17:14
30 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:20:20
POINTS
1 André Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal 119 pts
2 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ 103
3 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida 100
4 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 97
5 Maarten Tjallingii (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 82
MOUNTAIN
1 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini 56 pts
2 Giulio Ciccone (Ita) Bardiani CSF 27
3 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal 25
4 Stefano Pirazzi (Ita) Bardiani CSF 18
5 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 17
SPRINT
2 Giacomo Berlato (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini 24
3 Matteo Trentin (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 22
4 Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team 20
5 Anton Vorobyev (Rus) Team Katusha 20
YOUTH
1 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step 45:16:20
2 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:05:49
3 Sebastian Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:13:31
4 Valerio Conti (Ita) Lampre - Merida 0:14:38
5 Carlos Verona (Spa) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:24:50
TEAM
1 Movistar Team 135:54:01
2 Etixx - Quick-Step 0:02:07
3 Astana Pro Team 0:05:52
4 Team Katusha 0:09:28
5 Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:10:28
6 Tinkoff Team 0:10:58
7 AG2R La Mondiale 0:13:11
8 Lampre - Merida 0:30:15
9 Dimension Data 0:31:06
10 Team Sky 0:31:22
11 Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:43:25
12 Trek-Segafredo 0:43:34
13 Team Giant-Alpecin 0:51:26
14 Bardiani CSF 0:52:32
15 Orica-GreenEdge 0:55:23
16 Lotto Soudal 1:02:57
17 BMC Racing Team 1:13:44
18 Gazprom-Rusvelo 1:33:03
19 IAM Cycling 2:04:54
20 Wilier Triestina-Southeast 2:15:16
21 Nippo - Vini Fantini 2:25:43
22 FDJ 4:25:51




No comments: