5.26.2016

Giro 18: A Double Show

Race in the race: a large break-away with a large advantage is going to fight for the stage victory while in the group will see the fight for Pink at a new, decisive level on the San Maurizio climb.
The break-away include 24 riders: Axel Domont (AG2R-La Mondiale), Davide Malacarne (Astana), Stefan Kung, Daniel Oss (BMC), Moreno Moser, Ramunas Navadauskas (Cannondale), Gianluca Brambilla, Matteo Trentin (Etixx-QuickStep), Olivier le Gac (FDJ), Andrey Solomennikov (Gazprom-Rusvelo), Roger Kluge (IAM Cycling), Sacha Modolo, Matej Mohoric (Lampre-Merida), Pim Ligthart (Lotto-Soudal), Genki Yammamoto, Gianfranco Zilioli (Nippo-Vini Fantini), Nikias Arndt, Alberto Timmer (Giant-Alpecin), Christian Knees (Team Sky), Pavel Brutt, Jay McCarthy, Ivan Rovny (Tinkoff), Matteo Busato and Julen Amezqueta Moreno (Wilier Triestina-Southeast). The gap is over 11'
Fight for Red as in the break-away there are all the conteders, Nizzolo excluded. At the first intermediate sprint Modolo won on Trentin, at the second one Ligthart won on Modolo. The peloton is moderately led by Lotto-Jumbo, very happy with the break. Sadly Manuel Belletti quit due to illness.
53 km to go, Colletta di Trignana : Oss attacks and brings away a small group. Kluge and Ligthart are immediately dropped. Now Timmer attacks, Domont follows.
Colletta di Cugnana, a demanding descent. Stefan Kung falls but is back on bike. New attack, this time by Matej Mohoric, and the break has split. The move is neutralised but 35 km to go Pavel Brut attacks and gets a gap.
First passage in Pinerolo. Pavel Brut is powering on the pavé on San Maurizio.
The next climb is Pramartino: a 2nd Cat. climb 4.3 kilometers, 10.9% average,17% max.). Brut is no more solo as a few riders joined. On the climb and two riders attack: they are Moser and Brambilla, and they are going solo. The front group exploded. Knees and Oss are suffering at the back. Nikias Arndt instead is the first chaser, Rovni follows.
The Maglia Rosa's group is on the short paved climb of San Maurizio. 
20 km to go Moser and Brambilla have 20" on the rest of the break and 13'20"  on the peloton. Brambilla is 1st at the KOM. Behind Rovni joined Arndt. The Maglia Rosa's group is on the hardest of the climb and Steven Kruijswijk is once again on Battaglin's wheel. Fuglsang has lost contact while Sioutsou is still there with all the GC riders. 
Brambilla is leading in the descent, Moser follows. 10 km to go Trentin and Modolo join Rovni and Arndt.  Domont, Knees and Busatto are chasing 1' down.
On San Maruzio again. Rovni takes wrong a bend and loses contact. Moser attacks, Brambilla resists. Brambilla attacks and Moser resists. It's a HUGE show! Descent: it's being a sprint! Arndt is dropped. Modolo and Trentin go.
Last km: Moser is leading, Brambilla on his wheel, Trentin joins, jumps and sprints to win. 
The peloton now. A 20 riders in the Maglia Rosa's group. San Maurizio: Visconti attacks, Montaguti follows but Steven Kruijswijk goes in front and shows who's the boss. Valverde is there, as well as Zakarin and Majka. Valverde attacks on the hardest but Kruijswijk is glued to his wheel. 
Descent. Nibali takes it in front. Finish. Valverde is leading. It's a top class sprint. Steven Kruijswijk launches it and Valverde wins

Moreno  Moser: 
"I didn't realise that Trentin was so close! my ds would have tell but I didn't wear my radio anymore!"

Gianluca Brambilla:
"Moser played too much and finally lost. I'm very happy with my performance and a team mate won so it's fine."

Vincenzo Nibali:
"Today it has been a quite good day."

Matteo Trentin:
"That's a victory built as a team. We were a sprinter and a climber, of course the climber had to stay with Moser, I just had to climb by my pace, to catch them and to sprint. I attacked a bit too early but I managed to drop Modolo, then I waited to close gap, I didn't want them to see me..." 

Steven Kruijswijk:
"Today I was feeling really strong. The pressure is big but I try to stay cool and relaxed. Tomorrow's stage suits me very well. I'd like to win a stage but we'll see. I feel good."
"It was a high tempo and at one point, there were even riders asking if we could possibly slow down so they could pee. I didn’t see much of the peloton because I only had my team-mates around me. I was never outside the first five of the group.
Enrico was better than I expected, he kept pushing and no one attacked. They did nothing. As long as I’m ahead, I have the mental boost over them. It is important to show no weakness.
Tomorrow is better for me than today. I showed in the last week that I'm really good on those long climbs. I need to have no fear, it is especially important when they attack." 

Stefan Küng:
“Today was incredibly frustrating. I made the breakaway and was feeling really good and had good legs. But sometimes I think I want it too badly. After I crashed I didn’t feel too bad at first and managed to catch up with the breakaway. But as we approached the climbs it started to hit me and there’s not much more to say. In didn’t go my way today.”

Daniel Oss:

“Today’s stage was really, really hard. We knew it was going to be but I think we didn’t realize exactly how hard the final climb would be. It had been a high tempo in the breakaway all day, and after more than 200 kilometers, everyone is already tired. I attacked with about 45 kilometers to go to make it harder for everyone, and then after that we were going full gas. I did my best today. Three more days to go and we’ll be done, so we’ll try and race as hard as we can until we reach Torino.”


RESULTS
STAGE

1 Trentin
2 Moser
3 Brambilla
4 Modolo +20
5 Arndt +30
6 Rovny +34
7 Busato +1:10 +
8 Knees +1:16
9 Domont +1:24
10 Malacarne +4:28
GC
1 Kruijswijk
2 Chaves +3:00
3 Valverde +3:23
4 Nibali +4:43
5 Zakarin +4:50
6 Majka +5:34
7 Jungels +7:57
8 Amador +8:53
JERSEYS
Pink: Kruijswijk
Red: Nizzolo
Blue: Cunego
White: Jungels

No comments: