5.08.2016

Giro 3: Pink Kittel


Sunny, flat and definitely green. Windy.  A break from the gun: Amezqueta, Van Zyl, Berlato and Tjallingii. After 53 km they have 7'46".
Team Lotto Saudal, disappointing yesterday, today is on the attack and taking advantage of the wind split the peloton. In add some crashes made the comeback complicated for the riders caught behind, amongh the others Andrey Amador. Involved in the crash Peraud is forced to abandon.
Elia Viviani punctured and had to wait a while because the team car was at the back of the race. It's a nervous one.
First intermediate sprint: Tjallingii is first and collects a few more points for the Red Jersey. 
Tjallingii also  conquers the KOM in a huge crowd cheering for him: the Blue Jersey is now on his shoulders and he's going to bring it home tonight.
Team Cannondale takes the lead in the peloton. 50 km to go the gap is down to 2'01.
Arnaud Demare had a problem and two mates stop to help him back. Not sure what happened, it seems he fell...
In the city of Arnhem final circuit to repeat twice. A lot of road forniture and the peloton slows down. The break instead speeds up.
28 km to go: Amezqueta, Van Zyl, Berlato and Tjallingii cross the line for the first time. They still have more than 2' 24 km to go.
Adam Hansen crashed earlier in the race and now he's spotted at the medical car. Vincenzo Nibali is toward the front as he was yesterday untill the finish: safer so far, not so far at the sprint...
Cross wind and the peloton splits again, pulled by Team Etixx-QS. Berlato looks exhausted but the break goes on. 15 km to go the gap is  1'44".
12 km to go Van Zyl attacks and goes solo. Suddenly a big crash brings down several riders, including almost all the FDJ. BMC's Dillier looks in pain, he probably hurt his wrist. Demare and Roglic also fell.
Van Zyl goes! 
The rest of the break is caught but the crash disrupted the sprinters' teams strategy. 
10 km to go Van Zyl has 1'01".
A new crash involves De Backer and Arndt.
The peloton re-organised the chase and 3.5 km to go Van Zyl has just 22".
1,5 km to go Van Zyl is caught.
It's a super fast sprint. It's again a super strong Kittell. The Red Jersey dashes on the line, then Elia Viviani comes and 3rd is Giacomo Nizzolo.
This victory also assures Kittel the race leader's Pink Jersey. It's the first time in ten years for a German rider.
Primoz Roglic instead gets to the finish with a huge delay: more than 7'. He crashed he's probably injuried.
A huge joy for Maarten Tjallingii who puts on the Blue Jersey at home, his son and daughter on stage and a vocal crowd in front.
Tobias Ludvigsson keeps his White Jersey.

Marcel Kittel:
“I’m very happy and at first I didn’t realise I’d also taken pink. I’m super proud of this amazing team. The boys worked so hard to bring the break back. I think we had the team of the day. It’s great to win a second stage. Now we’ve got some work to defend the pink jersey when we get to Italy but it’s the best thing that could happen to us. I have a great team and two super strong pilots in Matteo Trentin and Fabio Sabatini. They did a great job to put me in position, while the other guys kept us out of the wind all day. Without all of them, the win would not be possible.”

Rick Zabel:
“I felt good today and I feel strong in general. It’s my first top ten in a Grand Tour so I’m really happy about it. My goal coming into the Giro d’Italia was to be in the top ten on a stage and I’ve already achieved it on the second road stage so I’m really happy with this result. I hope the rest of the Giro d’Italia will continue like this. There was a big crash with 12 kilometers to go and I was one of the last riders to come around. I stayed behind and I waited a bit and then in the last five kilometers Manuel Quinziato did a good job to bring me up to front. I know I am not as fast as Marcel Kittel and Andre Greipel but I’m still happy that I can be up there with the fastest guys.”

Giacomo Nizzolo:
"First of all, I have to say a big thank you to the team, who did a great job. Today they took the situation into their hands with 28-30kms to go, always keeping me covered, and put me in good position for the sprint. 
At the moment, I was starting my sprint someone came and blocked my way. I had to go around them, and then try to go again for the line. Of course, I lost a little bit, and without this, I could have been much closer. But probably with this Kittel, it is really hard to win. The feeling with my legs is really good, so we keep the confidence. The wind always puts stress in the bunch, and then the GC riders want to stay safe in the front. So every time there's a little bit of wind the speed always goes higher, and that was the case today. It definitely made it harder."

Andre Greipel:
"German cycling on Top with 2 stage wins by @marcelkittel and pink jersey...congrats!special thanks to @Sean_Bieke and Bak saving my chances"


Tom Dumoulin:
“I was expecting this scenario up front, so not a big surprise and doesn’t make a big difference to me. I have had two very nice days wearing the leader’s jersey in my home country. And if someone else has taken the jersey, then I would prefer that it would be Kittel instead of anyone else.”


Johann van Zyl:
"It was a long day. For the first half of the race it was more or less a headwind so we had to time our effort smartly. After the feedzone we started riding harder and harder. With a tailwind and 6-minute lead we knew we could get quite far if we rode smart but the guys were saving energy for the mountain sprint so they weren’t really committing. Once we got onto the local laps we rode as hard as we could and I attacked them with about 12km to go. I don’t know if the guys just didn’t want to commit anymore or if they were just tired but I knew I had to go now. I went as hard as I could and I ended up being 1 or 2 kilometers short, next time."

Maarten Tjallingii: 

“I gave it all to win that sprint. The crowd encouraged me. The people were screaming so loud that I didn’t feel my legs anymore. I wanted this so badly. I was focussed on this jersey. After the top of the Posbank, I exploded. I was barely able to keep on pedalling.”

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step 4:23:45
2 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
3 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo
4 André Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal
5 Alexander Porsev (Rus) Team Katusha
6 Kristian Sbaragli (Ita) Dimension Data
7 Moreno Hofland (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
8 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ
9 Rick Zabel (Ger) BMC Racing Team
10 Matej Mohoric (Slo) Lampre - Merida
11 Manuel Belletti (Ita) Southeast - Venezuela
12 Caleb Ewan (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge
13 Matteo Pelucchi (Ita) IAM Cycling
14 Paolo Simion (Ita) Bardiani CSF 15 Ivan Savitskiy (Rus) Gazprom-Rusvelo
16 Aleksei Tsatevich (Rus) Team Katusha
17 Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Team Giant-Alpecin
18 Nicola Ruffoni (Ita) Bardiani CSF
19 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha
20 Andrey Zeits (Kaz) Astana Pro Team
21 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Alpecin
22 Eugert Zhupa (Alb) Southeast - Venezuela
23 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step
24 Roger Kluge (Ger) IAM Cycling
25 Boy Van Poppel (Ned) Trek-Segafredo
26 Davide Malacarne (Ita) Astana Pro Team
27 Sergey Firsanov (Rus) Gazprom-Rusvelo
28 Christian Knees (Ger) Team Sky
29 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff Team
30 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
GC
1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Etixx - Quick-Step 9:13:10
2 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:09
3 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:00:15
4 Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:17
5 Moreno Moser (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:00:21
6 Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:22
7 Matthias Brandle (Aut) IAM Cycling 0:00:23
8 Roger Kluge (Ger) IAM Cycling 0:00:25
9 Chad Haga (USA) Team Giant-Alpecin
10 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:26
11 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:28
12 Lukasz Wisniowski (Pol) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:29
13 Tanel Kangert (Est) Astana Pro Team 0:00:30
14 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:00:31
15 Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:32
16 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:33
17 Moreno Hofland (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:00:34
18 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:00:37
19 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre - Merida 0:00:38
20 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky 0:00:39
21 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Sky
22 Jhoan Esteban CHAVES RUBIO
23 Stefan Kueng (Swi) BMC Racing Team
24 Leigh Howard (Aus) IAM Cycling
25 Sean De Bie (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:00:40
26 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:41
27 Pieter Serry (Bel) Etixx - Quick-Step
28 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team
29 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:42
30 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale Pro Cycling
31 Bram Tankink (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:00:43
32 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ
33 David De La Cruz (Spa) Etixx - Quick-Step
34 André Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal
35 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:00:45
36 Christian Knees (Ger) Team Sky
37 Carlos Betancur (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:46
38 Aleksei Tsatevich (Rus) Team Katusha
39 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff Team 0:00:47
40 Alexander Porsev (Rus) Team Katusha
41 Rein Taaramae (Est) Team Katusha
42 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Lotto Soudal
43 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Team Sky 0:00:49
44 Kanstantsin Siutsou (Blr) Dimension Data
45 Stefano Pirazzi (Ita) Bardiani CSF
46 Alberto Bettiol (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:00:50
47 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Astana Pro Team
48 Rick Zabel (Ger) BMC Racing Team 0:00:51
49 Simon Clarke (Aus) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:00:52
50 Marcel Wyss (Swi) IAM Cycling
JERSEYS
Pink: Kittel
Red: Kittel
Blue: Tjallingii
White: Ludvigsson

No comments: