6.09.2016

Dauphiné 4: Sprint or break?

So far there is a break. Can they stay away? 
Maxime Bouet, Bryan Nauleau and Frederik Veuchelen attacked from the gun and after 50 km they have 4'15".
There is strong head wind and the race is way behind schedule, having an average speed of 31.6 km/h.
98 km to go the gap is 3'50". 
53 km to go the gap is 2'44". Team Katusha is pulling.
First passage on the finish line, 32 km to go the gap is only 1'44" . The bunch sprint looks likely.
18 km to go the gap is 38": sprinters did their maths.
13 km to go Bouet attacks and gets a gap. Basicly only Katusha is chasing and by just one man. 5 km to go Bouet has 14".
4 km to go the peloton is compact.
Pace is crazy now and there is gap. Crash! Giant Alpecin keeps pulling. Alberto Contador is caught behind.
Last km, last meters... Boasson Hagen wins shoulder to shoulder with Bouhanni. Alaphilippe emerges to 2nd and gains some seconds in the GC.

Edvald Boasson Hagen:
"I had a great position all day. The guys kept me well protected. In the finale I had to go from far. Everyone was getting tired and I managed to stay ahead. I'm very happy. It was the last opportunity for riders like me. I really wanted to do well today. I like the Dauphiné because there's a stage for every kind of rider. I've done this race a lot of times. It's been a great season so far and I hope to have a good Tour de France as well. I'm getting better and better towards the Tour de France. It's nice to get a win for Dimension Data for Qhubeka and it gives me an opportunity to send my best wishes to Keagan Girdlestone for his recovery."


Maxime Bouet:
"Today I really wanted to show myself and to do something nice, because we were arriving in the town where I was born and where I joined my first cycling club. I knew the roads and I was hoping for a bigger advantage in the last 20 kilometers, because the narrow and technical roads would have played into my favour. I gave everything, but unfortunately I missed those extra 30-40 seconds which would have helped me to make it. At the end, I did my best and I'm happy. With oozed confidence, I'm now ready to work for Dan and Julian in the next stages"


Julian Alaphilippe:
"I'm a little bit disappointed, because I was too far down when we entered in that last corner. I managed to come back, but it wasn't enough to really contest the win. Tomorrow, the real climbing starts at the Dauphiné and we are ready to fight and find out how far we can go."

Nacer Bouhanni:
"Hard finale today!  and a big mess after my team mate Borut Bozic's crash..."

Alberto Contador:
“I was caught at the back and I lost nine seconds to some GC contenders. The truth is nine seconds don't worry me, but what worries me more is the 3 km rule. It has to be applied and we need clarity.”


MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE

1.Edvald Boasson Hagen
2.Julian Alaphilippe
3.Nacer Bouhanni
4 Debusschere
5 Van Avermaet
6 Dumoulin
7 Keukeleire
8 Degenkolb
9 Bennett
10 Pibernik
GC
1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff Team 17:52:45
2 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:04
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:06
4 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:09
5 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:12
6 Jesus Herrada (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:27
7 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge 0:00:31
8 Diego Rosa (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:35
9 Daniel Navarro (Spa) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:00:43
10 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:48
JERSEYS
Yellow and Polka: Contador
White: Alaphilippe
Green: Boasson Hagen

No comments: