6.12.2016

Dauphiné 7: surprise!

Ok, I was attending my son's race and came home in time to see the last 2 km: Stevo Cummings was doing a 'stevecummings' and  Team Sky was doing a 'teamsky'. 
Indead Cummings was going solo to take a finisseur victory while Team Sky was pulling a decimated peloton including Alaphilippe, Poels, Landa, Henao, Contador, Froome, Porte, Bardet, Yates, D.Martin, Meintjes and Rosa.
Daniel Martin launched the sprint and Bardet was ready to follow creating a gap: Richie Porte was caught behind and that costed him a podium spot. Contador came even later.
As expected Chris Froome won his 3rd Dauphiné  but the podium is quite unespected: Romain Bardet and Daniel Martin!

Chris Froome:
“It's a massive satisfaction to win the Dauphiné for the third time. It's a very important race in the calendar. Coming into this week, I was just happy fighting for the podium. Sitting here with the yellow-blue jersey is an amazing feeling. The last few days, we went flat out and today was no different. My teammates came back to help me control the race at the end. I knew via radio that Landa, Henao and Poels were coming across. But we almost crashed together near the end and that caused the gap that cost Richie [Porte] his spot on the podium. I feel sorry for him but he's in a fantastic form ahead of July. He'll be one of the main contenders at the Tour too.
This is a great time for me to have a win under the belt. It's a booster confidence ahead of the Tour de France but there's still some work to do before July. I'm at my best yet. I hope to reach that by the start of the Tour de France. I've not raced much this year in order to be at my best during the third week of the Tour.”

Richie Porte:
“I found myself almost in the barriers and had to stop and that’s when the group went and that’s when my podium was lost. It’s just one of those things. I was there all week and today I had a much better day, so it’s just a shame to finish on such a bad note. But I think it will keep me hungry for July.
I thought I may have still finished third. To almost crash in the last 500 meters of the whole race is a disappointing way to end a fantastic week. It’s just a racing incident. Everyone’s on the limit and it’s just one of those things that happen.
Yesterday I had a bit of a bad day but I didn’t lose that much. Today I felt great. It was a hard stage, and a hard race in general, but I bounced back really well. I’m quite happy with the form and the way things are lining up for July.”

Steve Cummings:
“It’s getting harder and harder to win but I felt I had to try to force something. This is the day I picked out before race. I was just thinking that going in the break was good training for the Tour de France but I also knew that there wouldn’t be many riders left and that the favourites would watch each other.
There was a head wind on climb on the big climb but knew that if I got through that I had a chance. Of course I still had two climbs after that and so it was hard. This is third WorldTour stage win (this season) so it’s really good.”


Lars van der Haar:
"Finished my @dauphine. Hard experience it was. But glad I got the opportunity to do it :) Hopefully it will only make me stronger #suffering"

John Degenkolb:
"Once again it was a tough stage, but my condition has improved day by day over the course of the week and I am satisfied with my progress.”

Dan Martin:
"Boys rode amazing today but the stage wasn't to be. Nice consulation with 2nd and a surprise trip to the podium. Now to rest up #WayToRide. Really happy for @alafpolak too. Our dynamic duo working a treat. Great team spirit this week with all the guys. #thankyou @Etixx_QuickStep"
“Today we wanted to try to win the stage and get the bonus seconds, because it would have helped us secure the podium, but when Cummings went he was too far ahead, so we changed the plan and we focused on improving our general classification. On the second-to-last climb, Contador attacked and I suffered, but I managed to come back on the downhill. We were aware there was a strong headwind on the final ascent, so I waited for as long as possible before accelerating. Bardet was following me, but I went full gas and never looked over my shoulder. After crossing the line I had no idea I was in the top 3, it was only on my way to the bus that our sport director Jan Schaffrath told me that I climbed in the GC.
I am happy with this result and the week I had, the team was really great and always there by my side. It was one of our best races this season. This achievement makes me really proud, to be the first one that does something special for my country is fantastic. I’m going home satisfied and motivated to continue my preparation for the Tour de France and work on my explosiveness. My goal is to be ready, fresh and as relaxed as possible at the start of the Tour.” 


Julian Alaphilippe:
“I can’t express in words how happy I am. At the start of the competition I wasn’t expecting such a result, but things went better with every day that passed and I began to believe in my chances. The last stages, when we hit high altitude, were difficult, but helped by a great team which gave 110% for me I stayed motivated and pushed hard. Now I will go home and recover before starting to build up for the National Championships.”

Stef Clement:
"As I said at the start @dauphine I hoped to get better and get a small result. By doing both I will go home a happy man. Merci @IAM_Cycling"

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Stephen Cummings (GBr) Dimension Data 4:05:06
2 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:03:58
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
4 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky
5 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge
6 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
7 Diego Rosa (Ita) Astana Pro Team 8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida 0:04:01
9 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:04:03
10 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
GC
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 25:59:31
2 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:12
3 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:19
4 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:21
5 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff Team 0:00:35
6 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:51
7 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge 0:00:57
8 Diego Rosa (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:13
9 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida 0:01:30
10 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:02:43
JERSEYS
Yellow Froome
Polka Dot Teklehaimanot
White Alaphilippe
Green Boasson Hagen

No comments: