6.23.2016

In Short: Chris Froome about the Tour

The Tour is approaching! are you ready? Chris Froome is. 

There is an interview HERE.

In Short:

1. Open: "I definitely feel as if this is going to be one of the most competitive Tours we’ve seen in the past few years. Nairo Quintana has had another year to get used to the pressure, So I imagine he’s going to be at his best. As well as Alberto Contador – given that his focus is more the TdF this year, I’m expecting him to be back at his best.”
2. Hilly: “It’s an interesting first week. It’s very hilly. How decisive those climbs are going to be, I’m not too sure. But certainly in 2012, 2013 and 2015, I’ve managed to win the first mountain-top finish. I felt as if that’s a really good way for me to start the Tour and to hang on to a lead, rather than trying to gain in the last few days [of the race].”
3. Early: “If I feel I can take time, I’m going to. I’m not going to tactically sit up and think: ‘I’ll take that time a little bit later.’ Because you never know what’s going to happen. You don’t know if you will have the legs. So if I feel good, I’ll go for it.”
4. Confident: “If I compare where I am now to the beginning of 2014, having won the Tour the year before, I feel a lot more confident in myself, a lot more at ease. I don’t feel the whole world is on my shoulders like it was then. I was prepared for it last time, but until you have been through it, and been through that build-up to the Tour for the second time consecutively, that you really get to fully appreciate it. There was a lot of pressure after winning in 2013. Not to say that was the reason I didn’t win in 2014.”
5. Fatalist: “The crash that happened to me there could have happened to anyone. It was just a touch of wheels at the wrong time. That’s not to say that isn’t going to happen this year – we’ve seen how many crashes there were in the first week of last year’s Tour. It could happen again.”
6. Plan B (or G): "Maybe it’s a safeguard against all the crashing that has been happening in the past two years. It’s probable you will lose a leader in the first week or so. It always helps to have – like G was last year – two guys up there on GC. G is lifting his game in terms of stage racing, People asked last year if it was possible that he could also get on to the podium. He wasn’t far off. A few days short of Paris and he was still in the top five. So I don’t see why it’s not possible. He can definitely do it. He has the ability. Not a threat, but it’s good there’s someone snapping at my heels if I’m not up to delivering the goods. So it’s a good pressure on me also.”
7. Rio? “The Tour is my focus of the season; then it’s a case of seeing how I get through those last few days, if I get to that point. I’d much rather be at home with my son, seeing him grow, but if I’m not going to be there for that, it’s going to be for a good reason. And I want him to be proud of his old man one day. To look back and be proud of what I’ve achieved.”

Good Luck! it's going to be cool!

No comments: