6.17.2016

Tour de Suisse 6 and 7: Kelderman's day of glory, Barguil's surge and my risky way of life!

Today winner: Tejay van Garderen
Ok, I'm almost there. On Friday I spent the whole day in school again for another final marks meeting and today I had two more meetings. 
The new race leader: Warren Barguil
The last one was particularly unpleasant because I was almost beaten by some parents who didn't accept their sons and daughters' final results. 
What an experience! It had happened to me to face the Turkish police, the French tear gas and of course the fascists' threat... but PLEASE! parents should have some brain! Growing up involve learning to deal with frustrations... what kind of model are you shouting and getting mad in front of a teacher who's just working? Mah...
Anyway I missed out Wilco Kelderman's day of glory in the Tour de Suisse. In stage 6 Weening won and Kelderman grabbed the leader's jersey. He lost it today to Warren Barguil and quite dramatically given that he's now only 9th in GC.
Wilco Kelderman's day of glory
Don't ask me what happened. I just know that Tejay van Garderen won. Ah... also that they were in the mountains.
Again on a personal note: I'm proud of my son who has been directly admitted to 2nd year class of the highschool with some very nice marks :D

Tejay van Garderen:
"The feelings today were good. The feelings have been good all race except for yesterday when I had a bad moment and got really cold when I came off the Klausenpass. It's still very regrettable that it happened because I fee like I have the form to win this race overall. At least to come away with the stage victory is a nice consolation prize.
It was a hard moment and I saw that some of the other riders didn't look so strong and I was feeling good so I thought it was a good opportunity to attack and go for the stage victory. And that's how it happened. They gave me a little bit of freedom because I lost a bit of time yesterday so I was able to get a gap and hold on to it.
You're never sure of a stage victory until you cross the line so I just put my head down and went as hard as I did. It's tempting to look back and I think I did look back a few times but I just tried keeping my head forward.
The Rettenbachferner is definitely up there with the hardest climbs I have ever done. I can't really think of a harder one right now.
Looking at the GC as it stands after today I definitely think I can move up a couple of places and maybe get into the top five or the podium. If I have a really good day and some of my rivals suffer a bit then the podium could be possible. But it is still very regrettable having lost that time yesterday, because then I think I would be in with a good chance."

Wilco Kelderman:
"It was a really bad day, I was just not good enough. I was immediately at my limit and my legs weren’t going. At that point, you have to go at your own pace. The time trial of tomorrow suits me well. And for a time trial, I'm always motivated. I am looking forward to tomorrow. The overall win or a podium place is difficult now, but I'm definitely going for a top five spot.”

Warren Barguil:
“I am happy with today’s result, it went very well. The team did a great job in controlling the race and in protecting me today. At the start of the final climb, I still had strong support from the team and we managed to set a good tempo in order to decimate the bunch as much as possible. In the finale, I just followed the main group and when Van Garderen attacked I was expecting Team Sky to accelerate, but they didn’t. Therefore, I decided to go by myself to try and close the gap. Unfortunately, I couldn’t and then I just gave everything I had to reach the finish line.
I am really proud that the team believed in me in achieving a good result. I will try to keep the jersey as long as possible and will not give it up without a fight. There are still two more hard stages to come with the time trial tomorrow, so we will see.”

RESULTS
STAGE 6

1 Pieter Weening (Ned) Roompot - Oranje Peloton 4:33:47
2 Maximiliano Richeze (Arg) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:02:37
3 Maciej Paterski (Pol) CCC Sprandi Polkowice 0:03:57
4 Kristijan Koren (Slo) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:04:13
5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:04:31
6 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale Pro Cycling
7 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
8 Jon Izaguirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:04:35
9 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:04:36
10 Simon Spilak (Slo) Team Katusha 0:04:39
STAGE 7
1 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 6:26:13
2 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:00:16
3 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
4 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:00:31
5 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:00:33
6 Simon Spilak (Slo) Team Katusha 0:00:43
7 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida 0:00:49
8 Jon Izaguirre (Spa) Movistar Team
9 Victor de la Parte (Spa) CCC Sprandi Polkowice 0:00:59
10 Jan Hirt (Cze) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
GC
1 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin 29:09:53
2 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:00:21
3 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:00:24
4 Jon Izaguirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:55
5 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:01:06
6 Simon Spilak (Slo) Team Katusha 0:01:07
7 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:01:31
8 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:01:36
9 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:01:39
10 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida 0:01:55

No comments: