7.12.2016

TdF 10: BLING!

I'm still travelling, this time from the mountains near Vicenza back home, after a blasting two days. 
Michael Matthews won a weird stage, with a 1st cat.  Climb at the start but a quite flat finish. There was a break-away and Bling was in. The break-away arrived.


Michael Matthews:
The break-away
“It’s unbelievable. The emotion at the moment is just sinking in. I’ve just won a stage of the Tour de France after two really bad years in this race. I was really close to giving up on this race, I just thought this race is not for me and I’d focus on other races, but today my dreams came true. It was never the plan to get into the breakaway, we thought it was going to come down to a bunch sprint. We have such a strong group of guys here and the way we work as a team is that everyone gives everything for their teammates. As you could see Daryl (Impey) and Luke (Durbridge) gave their all for me today and were both amazing all the way to the end." 

Luke Durbridge:
“When you close out like that you could call it a technical masterpiece. We are pretty happy with that. It took full commitment from everyone from kilometre zero to the finish. It doesn’t always come together like that but when it does it's pretty special.”

Chris Froome:
"There was talk of a little bit of crosswinds heading into the last 30km and you could see the whole peloton getting nervous behind, but the guys did a great job keeping me up front just in case things were to kick off and we were right there, ready for it if it did happen.
This is the dream. This is what it's all about to be in yellow. It's a pretty special feeling. I'm going to soak it up and enjoy it while I'm here.
Tomorrow we're hoping for another similar day to today. Just another day we can tick off and get through hopefully without too much happening. Ventoux is the next big thing we've got our sights on now. It's going to be such a big stage and then to back it up there's the first time trial the day afterwards - that will be in the back of the mind too."

Greg Van Avermaet:
"I wanted to surprise them and go from far as most of the time it's my strongest point, but a few guys came over me. It's been pretty good. It was a dream for me to ride with the Yellow Jersey and have a stage win. Now I've recovered well after the rest day and I'm pretty happy with my legs today so I was happy that I could fight again for the victory. It was a hard day on the climb and I knew if a big break goes then it would go to the finish, and that's why I tried to stay as long as possible. I climbed with the peloton, did a good descent and then bridged with Sylvain Chavanel to the breakaway. But I think Sagan was really strong so it was hard to beat him."

Damiano Caruso:
"Today was a good day for us because Greg and I did a good job in the breakaway. It was also good for the team as well, as we took the lead of the Team Classification again. At the end it was a really fast and hard day because the first climb was really hard and then in the descent we formed the breakaway and we kept going to the finish. It was really hard at the end with the wind and rain and the breakaway split into two parts. Greg was in the first part which was good because he is faster than me. My condition is good and I think we're in for some really hard days, but I think I'm ready to help our leaders, Richie Porte and Tejay van Garderen."

Richie Porte:
"To be honest I'm just happy to get back into the swing of things and be racing again after the rest day. There's a flat stage tomorrow and then we'll be back on the climbs."

Tejay van Garderen:
"It was a rude start back into the race with a 23 kilometer climb right off the bat and then you add the rain to it. But it was good. It was nice to have the day of rest and I feel good, ready to tackle the second week."

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Matthews 
2 Sagan 
3 Boasson Hagen 
4 Van Avermaet 
5 Dumoulin 
6 Impey +2 
7 Durbridge +1:10 
8 Caruso +3:01 
9 G Izaguirre +3:10
GC
Nothing new!
JERSEYS
#MaillotJaune: Chris Froome
#MaillotVert: Peter Sagan
#Maillotapois: Thibaut Pinot
#MaillotBlanc: Adam Yates

No comments: