7.03.2016

TdF 2: "Oh Barbara, quelle connerie la guerre..." and more

There is a poem by Jaques Prévert talking about the places crossed by the race today, and by the war in 1944. It's 'Barbara'...

"Rappelle-toi Barbara

Il pleuvait sans cesse sur Brest ce jour-là

Et tu marchais souriante

Epanouie ravie ruisselante Sous la pluie

Rappelle-toi Barbara

Il pleuvait sans cesse sur Brest

Et je t'ai croisée rue de Siam

Tu souriais, et moi je souriais de même

Rappelle-toi Barbara
Toi que je ne connaissais pas
Toi qui ne me connaissais pas
Rappelle-toi, Rappelle-toi quand même ce jour-là
N'oublie pas
Un homme sous un porche s'abritait
Et il a crie ton nom
Barbara
Et tu as couru vers lui sous la pluie
Ruisselante ravie épanouie
Et tu t'es jetée dans ses bras
Rappelle-toi cela Barbara
Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
Je dis tu a tous ceux que j'aime
Même si je ne les ai vus qu'une seule fois
Je dis tu a tous ceux qui s'aiment
Même si je ne les connais pas
Rappelle-toi Barbara, n'oublie pas
Cette pluie sage et heureuse
Sur ton visage heureux
Sur cette ville heureuse
Cette pluie sur la mer, sur l'arsenal
Sur le bateau d'Ouessant
Oh Barbara, quelle connerie la guerre
Qu'es-tu devenue maintenant
Sous cette pluie de fer
De feu d'acier de sang
Et celui qui te serrait dans ses bras
Amoureusement
Est-il mort disparu ou bien encore vivant
Oh Barbara
Il pleut sans cesse sur Brest
Comme il pleuvait avant
Mais ce n'est plus pareil et tout est abîmé
C'est une pluie de deuil terrible et désolée
Ce n'est même plus l'orage
De fer d'acier de sang
Tout simplement des nuages
Qui crèvent comme des chiens
Des chiens qui disparaissent
Au fil de l'eau sur Brest
Et vont pourrir au loin
Au loin très loin de Brest
Dont il ne reste rien."

War still is bollocks and sadly still popular among human beeins. 
The weather isn't good: slight rain, cold, slippery roads. Indead some riders went down, Contador included, again on the same shoulder. 
Four riders broke away from the gun: Voss, Benedetti, Breen and Stuyven. They still are away 20 km to go. Their gap has been larger but they still have a 3'. 
The peloton is coming closer but maybe it's late. 15 km to go Benedetti lost contact and is back in the peloton.
It's a wavy route, tricky and narrow streets, uphill finish atop a short nasty climb. Hard to make a prevision.
8 km to go the break is climbing an uncategorised climb. Stuyven attacks, Voss reacts, Breen is dropped. Etixx and Sky lead the peloton in a chase that now is furious: only 2'.  Caruso goes in front. Kittel and Degenkolb are dropped. Stuyven flies! Solo, is timetrialing toward the finish. He's on the last climb: Cote de la Glacerie, 2 km 6,5 % average, 15% max.
4 km to go Richie Porte puncture! Paull Voss is caught and dropped. Stuyven is at the KOM, 1 km to go. The peloton arrives. Stuyven is caught and the sprint is launched and Peter Sagan is the fastest. Stage and Yellow Jeresey for him. Team mates Alberto Contador finishes with 47'' of delay, Porte more than 1', Nibali and Aru 11''.
But what a ride and what a rider Jasper Stuyven! Chapeau!

Peter Sagan:
"I am very surprised I won, because I was thinking that there were still two guys in the front. Then when I finished I didn't know I won and later realized the breakaway had been caught.
It is the first time in my career to have the yellow jersey, and it is unbelievable. I'm already wearing a nice jersey [world champion], but this one is also very nice."

Julian Alaphilippe:
“The team did a great job controlling the race and bringing me in a good position, despite the rain and the narrow roads. I felt good and gave everything I had, but Sagan was better. In those last 500 meters I was thinking only of taking the victory, as I was feeling strong, but in the end I had to be content with second place. Maybe I started the sprint a bit too early, but to be honest I have no regrets, because I gave it my all and Sagan was simply better, he’s the world champion for a reason. 
I was disappointed, but then I cooled down and realized that it’s my first Grand Tour and I still have many things to learn. I also have plenty of reasons to be happy, as I’m now leading the U25 classification and I am in good form. It’s a huge pride to wear the white jersey and I want to thank the entire team for the great help of today. We came second two stages in a row, but at the same time we showed how strong and united we are. Hopefully, we will get a good result in the next days.”

Andre Greipel:
"Nice to know already after the 2 nd day @LeTour that the speed the peloton is doing on hilly roads is a little too fast for me. AUA"

Wilco Kelderman:
“I aimed for a top result and it went well,” he said. “It was very chaotic during the final 10 kilometres. There was a lot of twisting and turning. I was always among the first 30 riders and had a good position. I found my spot in the finale and got the space to sprint. This sixth place gives me a good feeling.I thought that they were going to make it. But at a certain moment, it went very fast in the peloton and the pace was high on the climbs, as well.”

Jasper Stuyven:
"It's nice to have the polka dot jersey although I am not really a climber, and it's nice to be on the podium," said Stuyven. "It's a good thing to have this after today, but that was not what I was going for in the final and right now I can only feel disappointment. When you are that close to a stage win in the Tour… In the end, I was starting to believe in the victory, and that makes it a huge disappointment.
I knew what was coming because we had a video of the finish from Josu (Larrazabal, Head of Performance). I knew it was going to be hard, so I just tried to spin, keep a high cadence and keep the power going. Everything was going well until the steepest part, right after the roundabout, I had a really hard moment to push the watts. My legs were empty.
I looked back at the top of the KOM and saw a Tinkoff guy coming, and I knew they were pulling for Sagan, and they were not going to slow down. You know then it's over. Then you hear they are coming, and they pass you, and you just crack.
I am disappointed because maybe I won't get this close again. I had good legs, and I knew I was the strongest of the group, but when you don't win it's always a feeling a little bit of disappointment.
I tried my best. This is the Tour, and I came here to not just be one of the 200 riders. I wanted to show myself; I felt good yesterday already and today I was aiming higher. It was nice to be up there in the Tour and maybe tonight and tomorrow I will be more happy with what I have done."

Bauke Mollema:
"I came to the front with a lot of speed," explained Mollema. "I was about to go and then got boxed in close to the front by a BMC rider, and I lost a lot of speed there. After this, the first riders were gone. My legs were good, and the most important was I did not lose any time. It was a shame that they took Jasper back in the final 450 meters. All day I was hoping he would make it, he was so close."

Tony Gallopin:
“This was the first stage I had marked and I wanted to follow as long as possible on the steep finish. It was good that there were four escapees today, that way it was less nervous in the bunch, although at times the course was narrow. There were only few flat sections during the stage and at the end there wasn’t only the climb towards the finish but also an uphill section with eight kilometres to go. The teammates did a good job to get me to the finish in a good position. The peloton had to chase hard to catch Stuyven, it was a very strong performance of him. At the end Jürgen Roelandts protected me and helped me to stay at the front. In the first one and a half kilometres of the last climb I could follow the best riders of the group, then it was half a kilometre flat and then we came to the steepest part with a fight man against man. Peter Sagan turned out to be the strongest. I gave all I got and finished seventh. When I look at the top ten of the stage I see the names I had predicted.”

Richie Porte:
“It was a disaster. But what can you do when you are sitting second wheel, in the perfect position. I don’t know what I did but the next thing I know, my rear tire went down and I had to try and get back through the peloton. I guess you can only move on. Marcus Burghardt came back but when you are going that fast there’s not much you can do in terms of a bike change. It all just happened so quickly that by the time Burghardt came back the bunch was gone anyhow.
The Tour de France is far from over. It’s quite a hard one to take but at the end of the day I guess we just pretend it never happened and wait for the mountains to come. It’s only a bike race isn’t it? So I’m sure the sun will come up tomorrow.”

Tejay van Garderen:
"I was up there in the final. It was a hard finish. I was full gas at the end. It was hard for the 40-50km leading into the climb so it definitely shook things up more than I expected. I feel horrible for Richie. The only thing I can say is that when you get to the third week of the Tour de France, two minutes could mean nothing. Contador also lost 50 seconds. The Tour is a marathon so hopefully Richie can stay strong in his head. Richie and I are still co-leaders. Anything can happen. Today I had to stay focused on not losing time.”

Greg Van Avermaet:
“Today we had two objectives; protecting Tejay and Richie and going for the stage win. We kept together in front until the last climb and then everyone had to go their own way. I did a good sprint even though I was on my own. I was in a good position.
The chase to pull the breakaway came late. At first some teams were riding but then no one was, and then we did as we approached the climb to be safe at the front. The roads were narrow and it’s always tricky so it’s good that no one crashed.”

Warren Barguil:
“It has ended up being a stressful stage. I suffered a small crash in the early part of the race. There was a crash in front of me as I went over a speed bump, I managed to break but riders crashed into me from behind and suddenly I was on the ground. The guys protected me well throughout the stage, and in the finale, I was always in the top 10. However, there was a sprinter that boxed me in and I lost 5-6 places. At that point it was impossible to regain my initial position. This finale was definitely not easy but now we can have some respite as two sprinters stages are out of the way.”

Alejandro Valverde:
“We couldn’t take so many risks before the closing climbs; it wasn’t worth for me since, while it’s obvious that I could chase the stage win, everyone in this team has come to this Tour to help Nairo out. He’s 100,000 times better positioned than me and with a better shot at the Tour that I’ll ever be. That said, into such a finish, with wide roads, it wasn’t difficult for me to get in a good place, and once there, you just don’t break - you’ve got to go for it.
I was doing well before the last kilometer uphill, but I took the coice to following Matthews’ wheel into the final 500 meters, and I got a bit boxed in from the left-hand side as I sought for my sprinting distance. I thought Matthews would be stronger into such a kick, and once I got past his wheel, the rivals in front of me, super fast guys like Sagan and Alaphilippe, were impossible to overtake. [Asked by journalists about the GC] The dark horse? Seriously, I can’t be a dark horse after 14 years as a pro. And I don’t make any conclusions out of this third place. We’re all behind Nairo.”

Alexis Vuillermoz: 

"In spite of a good placement in the finale  I wasn't a bit far to go looking for a top results. The very fast finale didn't suit me but Icomplicated season so far so I'm I managed to be in front". 

Alberto Contador:
"Already on the way to the start of stage 3. What to say??? I'll go day by day,doing my best for you all.Thanks."

STAGE
1 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 4:20:51
2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
4 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step
5 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica-BikeExchange
6 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
7 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal
8 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
9 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo
10 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
11 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica-BikeExchange
12 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Cannondale-Drapac
13 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange
14 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
15 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha
16 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
17 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
18 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida
19 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
20 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Team Katusha
21 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Team Sky
22 Arthur Vichot (Fra) FDJ
23 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team
24 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
25 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin
26 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky
27 Mathias Frank (Swi) IAM Cycling 0:00:10
28 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ 0:00:11
29 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team
30 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ
31 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida
32 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling
33 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:15
GC
1 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 8:34:42
2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:08
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:10
4 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:14
5 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
6 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
7 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
8 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team
9 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica-BikeExchange
10 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step
11 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
12 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Cannondale-Drapac
13 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal
14 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Alpecin
15 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
16 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Team Katusha
17 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
18 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
19 Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica-BikeExchange
20 Rui Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida
21 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange
22 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky
23 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo
24 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Team Sky
25 Arthur Vichot (Fra) FDJ
26 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha
27 Mathias Frank (Swi) IAM Cycling 0:00:24
28 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:25
29 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling
30 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ
31 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ
32 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida
33 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:29
34 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
35 Lawson Craddock (USA) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:31
36 Jesus Herrada (Spa) Movistar Team
37 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data
38 Romain Sicard (Fra) Direct Energie
39 Eduardo Sepulveda (Arg) Fortuneo - Vital Concept
40 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Argon 18
JERSEYS
Yellow and Green: Sagan
Polka dot: Stuyven 
White: Alaphilippe 

No comments: