8.30.2016

La Vuelta 9: David De La Cruz: "I found out that we have a consistent gap. Then I knew I can do it."

David De La Cruz:
“After being injured and sidelined due to health problems many times in the past two years, this victory repays me for all the hard work and the team for the confidence showed. 
The key moment was when I was with Devenyns and found out that we have a consistent gap on the guys chasing us. Then I knew I can do it. 
It’s incredible to ride in a race against the best in the world – riders like Froome, Contador, Valverde or Quintana – and take this beautiful win. Alto del Naranco is a fantastic climb, which I know very well from the Vuelta a Asturias, and to be on top here gives me a great and unique feeling.
I can’t believe I’m the leader of the Vuelta a España! At the start of the day, when I went in the break, I was thinking of taking the win. During the stage, I wasn’t aware I can seize the jersey, it was only in the final two kilometers that I got this info from the team car. To lead my home race is the icing on the cake and I’ll savor every moment. I want to thank to my all my teammates and to sport director Jan Schaffrath, who kept me informed on what was happening during the stage and motivated me. The confidence of the team and of the guys was crucial and says a lot about how united and determined this team is.” 

RESULTS 
STAGE
1 David De La Cruz (Spa) Etixx - Quick-Step 3:47:56
2 Dries Devenyns (Bel) IAM Cycling 0:00:27
3 Moreno Moser (Ita) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:33
4 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:51
5 Mathias Frank (Swi) IAM Cycling
6 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ 0:00:53
7 Bartosz Huzarski (Pol) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:58
8 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:01:04
9 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
10 Dylan Teuns (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:01:10
GC
1 David De La Cruz (Spa) Etixx - Quick-Step 33:46:24
2 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:22
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:41
4 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:49
5 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-BikeExchange 0:01:19
6 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:01:38
7 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff Team 0:02:01
8 Darwin Atapuma (Col) BMC Racing Team 0:02:06
9 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:02:07
10 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team 0:02:08

No comments: