9.29.2016

Gran Piemonte - Daniele Bennati 3rd: "This race was my last one in Tinkoff colours and I really wanted to win"

Daniele Bennati:
"Today was a very special day for me as this race was my last one in Tinkoff colours and I really wanted to close this chapter of my professional career with another win. In addition, I have already won Piemonte twice and I would have become the record holder with three victories. That victory would have a special value because it would also be a way to thank my teammates, the staff and, of course, Oleg Tinkov. I joined the team in 2013 and after four incredible seasons, Tinkoff will always hold a special place in my heart.
Our plan today was for me to try to win. It was a very fast race with an average of 47km/h. I went in the early break of 38 riders and stayed at the front for more than 100km. In the last climb we were part of a group of around 35-40 riders and I had Michael Gogl there who helped me until the final kilometre. I stayed on the wheel of Gaviria but we got boxed in and Nizzolo grabbed the opportunity to pass us on the right.
I'm very happy with the final result and even if I missed the victory, I'm very satisfied with my form and the podium place I achieved. Once again, thanks everybody at Tinkoff and thanks Oleg! I will never forget these four great years."

No comments: