9.01.2016

La Vuelta 10 - Nairo Quintana: "What my body asks from me at this point is saluting my whole family, especially my mum."

Nairo Quintana:
“Let’s hope this one is a jersey we can keep for a longer period! What I felt and saw today was wonderful - it really makes me confident that I can fight to win this Vuelta. I felt well all over the day, leaving aside that crash in the beginning. The great work by the whole team was visible today, and made for a bigger motivation to win and reward them with the stage. I had always dreamt to win here and I could make that dream come true today. It really makes me happy to put my name under this stage, and especially how we did it, together with the team. It would have been impossible without them.
I felt myself strong in the beginning of the climb and it was easy to get into the right position, thanks to the fantastic pace by all of my team-mates, above all Rubén Fernández. He made it look easy and avoided all previous attacks. As I saw he was running out of gas, Alberto’s (Contador) attack came - I followed him and jumped twice to open the gaps with Froome and seek for the stage win. Chris remains pretty much close for the remainder of the race. We must to continue to pick up the pressure, doing the same we’ve done until this point: attacking and attacking to keep him further. Should we keep this minute we have when the Calpe TT looms, he’ll be the main favourite. I think three minutes would be a reasonable gap to tackle the time trial with calmness.
It feels great to lead the race. I always trusted my abilities, but sometimes you feel better while other times your body reacts worse. Now that everything goes through the right path, I enjoy and live everything with great excitement. What my body asks from me at this point is saluting my whole family, especially my mum. She always prays for me so everything can go right. I just love her - he’s the best mum I could ever dream of having. Also, this goes for the team - they’ve made possible for me to fulfil these dreams. It’s not only about those in the Vuelta, but the whole group in general. Tomorrow? We’ll have to keep our legs rolling for a while and trying to recover after the early crash.”

Alejandro Valverde:
“So, the Lagos? They were tough! (laughs). I really feel happy about today. Winning the stage with Nairo, finishing right behind Froome… I’m super happy. I’m even surprising myself. It’s my third Grand Tour of the year, already 10 stages in, many demanding ones… and we’re still in the mix. I’m ‘enjoying’ the bike, between quotation marks as you endure lots of suffering. Results have been good up to this point, we’re offering spectacle to the fans and I just hope they’re enjoying our efforts. It’d be great to continue this way for long.
I knew that Froome would come really fast from behind, and as Nairo attacked, I kept my own pace and stayed with Rubén, who set a fantastic pace. I was conserving some energy so as to follow Froome when he came past - even after his furious pace at the end, I only lost three seconds to him. Froome isn’t surprising: he always drops back, he was even trailing by 40” halfway through the ascent, yet he overcomes riders at an impressive pace. It’s not the first time - we all know about his excellent abilities. GC-wise, this minute Nairo has on Froome isn’t much, but there’s a lot of mountains ahead. God knows we’ll give our all to increase that gap.”

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 4:50:31
2 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:00:24
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:25
4 Omar Fraile (Spa) Dimension Data 0:00:28
5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
6 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team
7 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-BikeExchange 0:01:02
8 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff Team 0:01:05
9 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:01:09
10 Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek-Segafredo 0:01:11
11 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team 0:01:24
12 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:31
13 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale-Drapac
14 Egor Silin (Rus) Team Katusha
15 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky
16 Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Drapac
17 Sergio Pardilla (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
18 Vegard Stake Laengen (Nor) IAM Cycling
19 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:34
20 Luis Angel Mate (Spa) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
.....
DNF Bartosz Huzarski (Pol) Bora-Argon 18
DNF Markel Irizar (Spa) Trek-Segafredo
DNF Kévin Reza (Fra) FDJ
GC
1 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 38:37:07
2 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:57
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:58
4 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-BikeExchange 0:02:09
5 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff Team 0:02:54
6 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:02:57
7 David De La Cruz (Spa) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:03:03
8 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:03:06
9 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:14
10 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team 0:03:20
POINTS
1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 65 pts
2 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Etixx - Quick-Step 60
3 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 53
MOUNTAIN
1 Omar Fraile (Spa) Dimension Data 20 pts
2 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 19
3 Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ 19
COMBINED
1 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 10 pts
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 21
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 23
TEAM
1 Movistar Team 114:54:34
2 Cannondale-Drapac 0:03:40
3 Team Sky 0:04:54
4 Etixx - Quick-Step 0:05:09
5 BMC Racing Team 0:07:47
6 AG2R La Mondiale 0:08:33
7 Astana Pro Team 0:19:07
8 IAM Cycling 0:20:57
9 Team Katusha 0:21:43
10 Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:24:06
11 Orica-BikeExchange 0:27:57
12 Lotto Soudal 0:36:19
13 Trek-Segafredo 0:40:55
14 Tinkoff Team 0:43:27
15 Caja Rural-Seguros RGA 0:46:20
16 Bora-Argon 18 0:57:33
17 Team LottoNl-Jumbo 1:05:40
18 Dimension Data 1:06:18
19 Lampre - Merida 1:06:50
20 Direct Energie 1:20:02
21 FDJ 1:23:21
22 Team Giant-Alpecin 2:16:13

No comments: