10.16.2016

World Championship 2016: Peter Sagan wins Elite Men RR: "I’m still in shock."


Belgians split the peloton early, taking advantage of the wind of the desert.
The Dutch Lezer attacked late, passed solo at the last km. He got caught eventually and in the small group sprint Peter Sagan won, bravely passing Nizzolo by the barrier.
A huge Berahne (13th) was in an early break and resisted in front until the finish. Bravo!!!

Peter Sagan:
"I don’t believe it. I’m still in shock. I'm very happy because there was a crosswind and I was the last one to make the first group. In the end, it was a sprint so we should see.
There was a bit of a headwind so I felt I needed to come from the back. I felt I was lucky because Nizzolo didn’t close me out. If he closed me out for sure we would have crashed because I wasn’t going to brake. We should have crashed but I’m happy. It’s unbelievable."


RESULTS
1 Peter Sagan (Slovakia) 05:40:43
2 Mark Cavendish (Great Britain)
3 Tom Boonen (Belgium)
4 Michael Matthews (Australia)
5 Giacomo Nizzolo (Italy)
6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Norway)
7 Alexander Kristoff (Norway)
8 William Bonnet (France)
9 Niki Terpstra (Netherlands)
10 Greg Van Avermaet (Belgium)

No comments: