12.17.2016

Cyclocross: Scheldecross


Mathieu van der Poel:
"It was so fast and we were matching each other; it was useless to try and get away. The last sand section would be decisive. It was a hard-fought duel, riding on the razor's edge.  That was a smart move from Wout. Kevin made a small mistake and Wout quickly had a gap. I tried to close it back down as quickly as possible, overhit the corner into the sand and bumped into the barriers. It had to happen there. If you're in front then you're allowed to make a mistake. There'll be no damage. In second place it's different and you risk losing the race there."
Wout Van Aert: 
"I spent a lot of energy in trying to win the intermediate sprint. I only managed second place and needed to recover for a long time. It was a battle to reach that section in first place. We both hit the red zone there, forcing us to recover while running the sand. Once back on the bike it wasn't possible to ride on the wheel in the sand. The twenty metres that were lost were too much to close back down before the finish line."

Kevin Pauwels:
"I hoped they would hesitate for a moment but they knew I was good and didn't let me ride away. It was my best race of the season." 

Sanne Cant:
"It probably looked good on TV and I enjoyed it too. I'm pleased with the final part of the race as the first part was a disaster. Sprinting against Sophie isn't easy but it worked out. My start was awkward and suddenly I found myself pinballing at the back of the top 10 while Marianne was already in front. I knew it could happen straight away in the sand section. She was already gone. It was all or nothing in the final lap. It's a special race for me, I lived nearby. I gave everything to bridge back up."

Thalita De Jong:
"I already knew before the race it would be hard today. My first passage through the sand was a poor one and my courage dropped below freezing point. Mentally it was hard. The last few laps my sand-riding was fluent, at least to my standards but by then the others were gone. Vos accelerated fiercely and that's how I got dropped. It's a pity because later she was dropped too. Next time she'll ride smarter.

Sophie De Boer:
"It wasn't my goal to attack straight away. I tried to ride around my anaerobic threshold because tomorrow I've got a jersey to defend. After the finish I could cry but tomorrow is much more important. Hopefully I'll recover well. The white jersey will give me wings."

RESULTS
Elite Women
1 Sanne Cant (Bel) IKO Enertherm-Beobank
2 Sophie de Boer (Ned) Kalas-NNOF
3 Katerina Nash (Cze) Clif Pro Team
4 Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabo-Liv
Elite Men
1 Mathieu Van der Poel (Ned) Beobank-Corendon 1:05:31
2 Wout Van Aert (Bel) Crelan-Vastgoedservice 0:00:04
3 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Marlux-Napoleon Games 0:00:06
4 Laurens Sweeck (Bel) ERA-Circus 0:00:09
5 Jens Adams (Bel) Crelan-Vastgoedservice 0:00:10
6 Michael Vanthourenhout (Bel) Marlux-Napoleon Games 0:00:12
7 Toon Aerts (Bel) Telenet Fidea Lions 0:00:16
8 Corne Van Kessel (Ned) Telenet Fidea Lions 0:00:52
9 Tim Merlier (Bel) Crelan-Vastgoedservice 0:01:07
10 Vincent Baestaens (Bel) Beobank-Corendon 0:01:52
U23 Men
1. Quinten Hermans,
2. Eli Iserbyt
3. Nicolas Cleppe
U19 Men
1. Arne Vrachten,
2. Daniel Tulett
3. Andres Verdonck

No comments: