1.28.2017

Lost in Nepal 12: Kathmandu

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, cloud and outdoorSee also Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10 and Part 11.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoorWriting about Kathmandu is painful because I fell in love with that city. Yes, it's chaotic, awfully polluted and still in ruins after the 2015 earthquake. Yes, at first it's shocking. I remember my first day in Thamel - the central area, so a touristic place - like an ipnotic nightmare: it's horrible but you can't stop watching. The last day I was crying because I didn't want to leave, it was feeling like home, my home finally, a place where I thought I could live. It's hard to explain, probably impossible. You must go there, and maybe you'll say it's a hell, like my travel mates.
Image may contain: sky, outdoor and waterKathmandu is no hell, no paradise either. It's a city suspended between past and future, rich of history, crowded of people, violently striking all your senses. A list of things to see or to do would be meaningless, it's the whole experience that captured me. 
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky, tree and outdoorWe spent there almost three days, visiting some holy places - both Induist and Buddhist - and strolling in Thamel. I phoned Lalit who joined us, and it was a pleasure to be with him. We went to dance, and let me say a disco night in Kathmandu is something special, because of the music and moreover because of the people: young Nepalis, trekkers in mountain boots (!), American freaks... We had a lot of fun. 
The last day we were all moved. We hold each other and I was about to cry. When I turned my phone on in Abu Dhabi... there were already three messages... So... I'm going back to Nepal in April, to vist Lalit's village, Waku, in the Solo Khumbu.
But that's another story.
Image may contain: outdoorNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: 1 person, outdoorImage may contain: drink and indoorImage may contain: outdoorImage may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoorImage may contain: outdoorImage may contain: outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, outdoorNo automatic alt text available.Image may contain: one or more people and skyImage may contain: sky, cloud and outdoorImage may contain: 9 people, people sittingImage may contain: 1 person, playing a sport and indoor

No comments: