3.22.2017

Procycling: Dwars door Vlaanderen... and tonsillitis


I have a 'severe tonsillitis' my doctor said, and since Monday I'm taking antibiotics, but I got ill on Friday night and on Saturday I didn't go to work.
So now I'm sick at home, coughing all the time, often with fever, and I can't go out. Cycling races are very welcome!
This one is a nice Belgian race, with a bit of cobbles. I like this kind of races. And Yves Lampaert is a good guy. He went in a break with Gilbert, Lutsenko and Durbridge, then solo in the last kms. A very nice victory, and he looked very satisfied.
In the women's race Lotta Lepisto won. I didn't watch it but I'm glad that it was POSSIBLE to watch it.

Yves Lampaert:
"For me it’s a dream that came true. It’s not that far from my home and I did a lot of recons to do this race. To win, for me it’s a fantastic gift that I can give to the team and thanks to everybody."
“To win a World Tour classic in the Quick-Step Floors kit gives me an amazing feeling. I can’t tell you how happy I am for myself and for the team. Together with Philippe, who proved again today what a huge champion he is, we did a superb job. We had the strength in numbers and this played in our advantage. When I attacked, I wasn’t sure I will open a gap, despite feeling strong, but I noticed they couldn’t bridge across and that gave me confidence. The final kilometers of the race were like a short and tough time trial, but I gave everything. To win Dwars door Vlaanderen is a dream come true, especially as I did this together with such a fantastic team and in front of so many supporters!” 

Philippe Gilbert:
“We were always on the front today. After the selection I made on Berendries, some guys in the group started to sit in, so we decided to go again, this time on Eikenberg. On Paterberg, we were first and second at the bottom of the climb and went full gas. Behind, Styby and Niki did a great job and helped us stretch out our advantage to one minute. By Nokereberg, we knew this was enough to win, so our plan was to attack there, and after they caught me, it was Yves’ turn to follow up with a move. He made it all the way to the finish and I’m very happy for him and the team, this is a big day for us!”

Lotta Lepistö:
“I just started passing riders and saw a gap to the front and put the big gear on and rode across. The group was smaller after the Paterberg then we rolled and rolled and then there were several attacks. Lisa [Klein] did an amazing job today. She is incredible. We were very tired, it was a hard race. I think everyone was racing all or nothing. In the end, there were 16 riders and Lisa said ‘I will give everything to help you’. She took me to the front in the sprint and I won. It’s super nice. I was hoping for at least one win in the Spring Classics and now the monkey is off my back. Everybody is just trying to help each other all the time. The riders are just there for each other all the time and we don’t hesitate to help each other.”

RESULTS
WOMEN
1 Lotta Lepistö (Fin) Cervelo Bigla Pro Cycling Team
2 Gracie Elvin (Aus) Orica Scott Women
3 Lisa Brennauer (Ger) Canyon SRAM Racing
4 Lucinda Brand (Ned) Team Sunweb Women
5 Thalita De Jong (Ned) Lares-Waowdeals
6 Lotte Kopecky (Bel) Lotto Soudal Ladies
7 Romy Kasper (Ger) Alé Cipollini
8 Janneke Ensing (Ned) Alé Cipollini
9 Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) WM3 Pro Cycling
10 Ann-Sophie Duyck (Bel) Drops Cycling Team
MEN
1 Yves Lampaert (Bel) Quick-Step Floors 4:47:17
2 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Quick-Step Floors 0:00:37
3 Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana Pro Team
4 Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica-Scott
5 Dylan Groenewegen (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:01:01
6 Oliver Naesen (Bel) AG2R La Mondiale
7 Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
8 Dylan Van Baarle (Ned) Cannondale-Drapac
9 Mitch Docker (Aus) Orica-Scott
10 Florian Senechal (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits

No comments: