3.24.2017

Procycling: Volta a Catalunya 5


Alejandro Valverde made a big selection in the last climb, then attacked and nobody could follow. 
End of the story.
Interesting to see how Froome managed it: he kept a very little gear pedaling at a high cadence, got a little dropped then gained terrain and finally capitalised.

Alejandro Valverde:
"It was a spectacular day for both myself and the team, I'm so glad I could finish this off. It was an amazing day, all thanks to my team-mates. We kept full focus in the dangerous part of the stage, exposed to the wind, and all over the stage I had different team-mates surrounding me. At the final climb, Rubén Fernández and Marc Soler did a sensational job for me. From the very foot of the climb I was feeling like I had good legs, and I asked them to go on full steam for as long as they could. At the final two kilometers, I sought for my distance and launched the move with a pace I could hold until the line.
It's a victory and a leader's jersey really special, because of everything that happened during the last few days. Things like those, outside the racing itself, are not ones that we like. In the end, we managed to get people excited and happy about our racing, and that's what counts. Soler? It's a really talented boy, you all could see it. He won the Tour de l'Avenir, excelled into the mountains prior, but seeing how strong he rode this week, I can tell this to you: he's got whatever he wants to win in his legs."

Chris Froome:
“Today, being the first big mountain top finish, was probably the first real big test so in that sense I’m really happy to be up there. Those are good indicators when I still have a long way to go until I’m at my best. Personally, it’s been an encouraging few days, especially given my track record here in Catalunya! It’s a race that I’ve usually found tough, being my first European race of the year and really just getting back into it. Having said that, we don’t want to be happy with second place as it’s not the reason we’re here. Valverde is looking really strong and I think beating him will take something special. But tomorrow’s stage has been quite understated – there’s hardly any flat in it and the weather might play a big part. After a day like today there will be some tired legs so we’ll stay on the front foot and look to take any opportunities."

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE ESP MOV 37 4:14:52
2 Chris FROOME GBR SKY 32 +13
3 Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO ESP TFS 35 +13
4 Marc SOLER GIMENEZ ESP MOV 24 +25
5 Adam YATES GBR ORS 25 +32
6 Daniel MARTIN IRL QST 31 +46
7 David GAUDU FRA FDJ 21 +58
8 Hugh CARTHY GBR CDT 23 +1:04
9 Jakob FUGLSANG DEN AST 32 +1:11
10 Steven KRUIJSWIJK NED TLJ 30 +1:11
11 Romain BARDET FRA ALM 27 +1:11
12 Michael WOODS CAN CDT 31 +1:17
GC
1 Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE Spain MOV 37 17:44:27
2 Chris FROOME Great Britain SKY 32 +21
3 Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO Spain TFS 35 +47
4 Marc SOLER GIMENEZ Spain MOV 24 +1:00
5 Adam YATES Great Britain ORS 25 +1:15
6 Tejay VAN GARDEREN United States BMC 29 +1:18
7 Geraint THOMAS Great Britain SKY 31 +1:34
8 Samuel SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Spain BMC 39 +1:59
9 Daniel MARTIN Ireland QST 31 +2:13
10 Steven KRUIJSWIJK Netherlands TLJ 30 +2:40

No comments: