7.20.2017

TdF 16-17: Green of Rage... and Roglic solo ride

Oioioi! I said Marcel Kittel was winning everything and his Jersey was looking so sure on his strong square shoulders! Insteed he crashed on the Galibier stage, suffered his way up to the Croix de Fer and finally pulled out. In Green now there is Bling - Michael - Matthews who had won the previous day and no doubt deserves it for his hard daily fighting for the intermediate sprints.
Green of rage also Fabio Aru, collaterally damaged by Romain Bardet's furious attacks, while the big target finished untroubled. Chris Froome is day by day more Yellow, like a living Smile. Also Rigoberto Uran has reason for smiling in his beautiful GC 2nd spot!
Primoz Roglic did an 'Andy Schleck', solo on the Galibier and to the finish line. Amazing ride!

Primoz Roglic:
“This is unbelievable, incredible. Winning this stage, over the Galibier… I have no words for it. At this moment, I do not realise what I have just achieved. That will come later and maybe then I will realise what a big win this is. The plan was to attack on the Galibier and go full-gas in the descent. I made plans for this stage earlier on. It is extra special that my girlfriend and my family are here today. Everywhere, I saw Slovenian flags today. It was amazing." 

Simon Yates:
“It was a very difficult day, I didn’t have the best day and lost some time there in the final. I didn’t really blow up mentally, I think I limited my losses ok. There was quite a lot of wind about and I got shelled off the group towards the end of the final climb. I really fought a lot to stay there as I knew there was still a long way to the finish but I couldn’t do anymore. We are pretty far into the tour now and I think I did really well to not lose too much time today. I went full gas on the final climb and I wasn’t strong enough today so I hope to have better legs.”

Michael Matthews:
"After getting 50 points yesterday I knew that it was game on. I knew beforehand that I had to be active to get those 20 points today and was aware that even if I did get those points it was still going to be difficult. You never want to see a guy out of a race like this, it's been such a good battle up to this point and I hope Kittel is ok." 

Daniel Martin:
“I attacked because I wanted to test my rivals. I didn’t go too deep, but this doesn’t mean I wasn’t tired. Actually, everybody’s tired 17 days into the race, so this is turning more into a mental battle. I’m glad we left this stage behind and I got to jump one place in the GC. Contador was in front of me and missed a corner, leaving a gap to the others, so that was that. It’s already in the past and now my focus is on the Col d’Izoard, tomorrow. The war of attrition will continue there and Disco Dan is ready to dance!” 

Marcel Kitte:
“I am very disappointed and I don’t know how to describe my feelings at the moment. To go home with five stage victories is great, but to go home because of a crash and before hitting Paris is a major disappointment.I couldn’t do anything to avoid that crash and lost some skin on my shoulder, back, elbow and hip, which are a bit swollen. I tried to carry on, but pedaling was just painful, especially as in the last couple of days I had to fight with stomach problems and a cold. Now I will take some time to recover before returning to racing and I’m confident the joy of winning five stages at the Tour de France will help me overcome these difficult moments."

RESULTS
STAGE 16
1 Michael Matthews (Aus) Team Sunweb 3:38:15
2 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
3 John Degenkolb (Ger) Trek-Segafredo
4 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
5 Christophe Laporte (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
6 Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Orica-Scott
7 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto Soudal
8 Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
9 Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe
10 Romain Hardy (Fra) Team Fortuneo - Oscaro
GC
1 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb 117 pts
2 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 38
3 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 38
4 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 33
5 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 28
6 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 25
7 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 23
8 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 22
9 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 22
10 Stephen Cummings (GBr) Dimension Data 20
STAGE 17
1 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 5:07:41
2 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:01:13
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
4 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
5 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb
6 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:01:16
7 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:01:43
8 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:01:44
9 Louis Meintjes (RSA) UAE Team Emirates
10 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
GC
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 73:27:26
2 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:27
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
4 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:53
5 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:01:24
6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:02:37
7 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:04:07
8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) UAE Team Emirates 0:06:35
9 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:07:45
10 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb 0:08:52
11 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:10:03
12 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:12:54
13 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:20:36
14 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky 0:21:16
15 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:27:06
16 Brice Feillu (Fra) Team Fortuneo - Oscaro 0:33:32
17 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data 0:34:47
18 Carlos Betancur (Col) Movistar Team 0:35:23
19 Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:37:46
20 Guillaume Martin (Fra) Wanty - Groupe Gobert 0:43:53
21 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:44:22

No comments: