7.09.2017

TdF 9: Fireworks

Queen Stage

  • Crashed: Geraint Thomas, Richie Porte.
  • Dropped: Nairo Quintana, Alberto Contador.
  • Making the race: AG2R
  • On the attack: Fabio Aru, Warren Barguil, Romain Bardet.
  • Winner: Rigoberto Uran.
  • Still In Yellow: Chris Froome
  • WTFK? Team Astana
Akexis Vuillermoz
REACTIONS
Dan Martin: 
Fair play...
"I was lucky when Geraint crashed, because his bike touched my handlebars, but my luck ran out at the end and couldn't avoid Richie on the descent. It was slippery under the trees, he lost his back wheel on that corner, went on the grass and crashed hard. There was nowhere to go for me. It was a bummer to go down again because I couldn't break after getting a front wheel from the neutral service. On the plus side, I immediately joined a group and was soon flying over the descent. Gave everything there, rode with the other guys like it was a team time trial and tried to salvage as much as I could"
Romain Bardet

BMC Doc Max Testa about Richie Porte:
"Richie Porte was transferred to the Centre Hopitalier Metropole Savoie in Chambery where he was evaluated by Dr. Zerr. He underwent X-rays to determine the extent of his injuries. His condition was stable from the beginning, he was responsive and he remembered everything that happened before and after the crash. 
X-rays confirmed a non-displaced right clavicle fracture and a non-displaced right acetabulum fracture. Richie also suffered extensive superficial abrasions involving the right side of his body. At this stage, the injuries will not require surgery. The plan is to re-evaluate Richie tomorrow morning and confirm that he is stable enough to be transferred home.
Warren Barguil and Rigoberto Uran
Normally, a fractured clavicle and pelvis would require four to six weeks' recovery, providing there are no complications. If everything goes to plan, Richie could be back on the bike at the beginning of August and slowly build his fitness up from there. Based on Richie's recovery, we will re-evaluate his program for the rest of the season in consultation with BMC Racing Team management."

Rigoberto Uran:
“It’s unbelievable,. I didn’t think it was true. I was actually leaving for anti-doping control when they told me I had won. It’s a huge surprise for me.
When there was the crash of Richie Porte and Dan Martin, Martin hit my gear and broke it. I did the whole descent with a broken gear, and I was thinking that I had to find a way to save the day..."
Warren Barguil

Warren Barguil:
"Today was an amazing day for myself and the team. We had five guys in the break which was brilliant. After Michael won the intermediate sprint the guys went full for my chances on day success and that gave me the confidence that I needed to climb at my best. On the Mont du Chat I did everything I could to make it to the top first and I was really happy to be able to do that. Of course it's disappointing to not take the stage win, but this is the sport and we will continue to fight on."
Simon Yates

Simon Yates:“It was an extremely hard day. I went super deep, as deep as possible and I finished empty. I gave it everything. I was a bit worried on the final climb because I wasn’t feeling good but the other young guys were already dropped and also in difficulty so I just rode my maximum to the top and also to the finish. Now, I’m just looking forward to the rest day.
Marcel Kittel

MORE TO COME

RESULTS
STAGE
1 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 5:07:22
2 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
4 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
5 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
Chris Froome
6 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
7 George Bennett (NZl) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:01:15
8 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky
9 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors
10 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
GC
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 38:26:28
2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:18
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:51
4 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:55
5 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:01:37
6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:01:44
7 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:02:02
8 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:02:13
9 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:03:06
10 George Bennett (NZl) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:03:53

No comments: